Dan Desktop PC- two USB controllers?

joncuk 10:46 14 Apr 2004

I am trying to use additional USB devices and have purchased a USB extender. When I connect a card reader or viewcam to the extender I get a meassage that it is trying to draw too much power from the USB connection. The PC then recommends that I connect them to a spare USB which I do not see. In device manager there appears to be a 2ND USB controller with two spare USB sockets. I assume that this is incorrect and that the USB controller has been been installed twice. Am I safe to delete the repeat installation?

anon1 11:04 14 Apr 2004

You should be ok. If it needs the second it should come up and tell you anyway. However there are 2 on my computer. You could try disabling one first rather than deleting it. I am assuming you are using windows xp although you failed to mention it.

scotty 11:04 14 Apr 2004

You need to check the motherboard details but there is a good chance that your computer does have two USB controllers. The second controller can be used to provide USB ports on the front of a pc. You can get devices which fit into a spare drive bay and provide additional USB ports. These connect to USB pins (normally 2 rows of 4 or 5 pins) on the motherboard.

An alternative is to use a USB hub which has its own power supply.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?