Damged HDD power wires - wont boot OS

bushy_384 19:20 21 May 2006

Hi all

Heres my problem,

Last week i opened my PC to install a new graphics card, upon closing the PC i damaged power wires to the HDD. The computer goes as far as the boot screen and then stops. I fixed this problem buy keeping the damaged wire away from the other three wires. And the system boots and runs ok.

Does a decreased amount of voltage to the HDD stop it from working?

If i get the wire repaired will it be operational again

Thanks

Colin

amonra 19:40 21 May 2006

If the wires are the power wires (red, yellow, and 2 black) then there should be a spare set somewhere, probably tied back out of harms way. If you can find a spare one, then CAREFULLY unplug the damaged one, fit the new one then tape up the damaged one so that no wires come into contact with any other. Wrap tape around each individual wire so that the damage is covered, then tie that one out of harms way. Good luck.

woodchip 19:43 21 May 2006

Sounds like you cut the insulation and they shorted on the case cover. All you should need to do is tape each wire to repair as they only carry 5 or 12 volts at most

bushy_384 19:45 21 May 2006

tried it with the cd drive one and it doesnt work.....could they be a different voltages ?

there is no spares

have tried to separate the wires without success

separting the wires worked the other day... but not today

dont think it is the hard drive because i can see the boot-screen and it was working this morning

thanks

woodchip 19:50 21 May 2006

Then you have broken the inner wire, use wire stripers to strip end and solder together then tape. You should be able to find which one as gone by pulling at the wire if it's gone it will stretch

bushy_384 19:54 21 May 2006

what do you mean when you say the inner wire

I have damaged wires on the outside maybe ten of them

bushy_384 19:55 21 May 2006

shouldnt it work if i use the cd drive connector?

DieSse 20:02 21 May 2006

*shouldnt it work if i use the cd drive connector?*

Yes it should - unless the whole thing damaged the hard drive - it might well have done.

Also check though that in messing about inside the case you haven't disturbed the data cable to the hard drive - remove it and refit it.

DieSse 20:04 21 May 2006

*I fixed this problem buy keeping the damaged wire away from the other three wires. And the system boots and runs ok.*

When I read this again, I was a bit mystified - fisrt you say it doesn't boot - then you say the above - can you explain further please.

bushy_384 20:05 21 May 2006

tried removing data cable.....

no joy

the computer recognises the presence of the hard drive but it doesnt start spinning

it did exactly the same thing the last time, but it wasnt the drive as i got it to work again

bushy_384 20:06 21 May 2006

*I fixed this problem buy keeping the damaged wire away from the other three wires. And the system boots and runs ok.*

it ran ok this morning

but now wont..................

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires