damaged notebook screen

jls 10:02 22 May 2003

I have a Sony PCG F400 notebook, unfortunately the screen is damaged but the the rest is fine, apart that I can't see too much to use it. I have just two questions. 1) Is it worth repairing, where and how much? 2) I would like to plug it into one of my monitors but don't have any cables etc. My monitors are a LG LCD 782LE Flatron and a Hansol 710A. A suggestion from anyone would be much appreciated.

Squall 10:32 22 May 2003

cable should connect your monitor to your laptop. If the screen doesn't come on at once check your manual on how to enable an external monitor. (Usually involves the function key and then one of the F1 - F12 keys)

As for your screen repair, I doubt that it will be worth it, if you have had your laptop a while you could probably buy a superior one for cheaper than it will cost you to get it repaired, as the screens are about 90% of the whole value of the laptop

_Treb_ 12:53 22 May 2003

Check your house insurance your notebook may be covered and the excess is probably £50 or £100. Cheaper than a new notebook and if beyond economical repair you may even get a new one.

jasg 12:59 22 May 2003

Had one replaced on a panasonic toughbook 6 monhs ago cost £1049!! Laptop cost £1900!

Patr100 14:08 22 May 2003

Yes screens are very expensive to replace - and Sony would probaby be able to give you an estimate but I doubt it will be worth it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?