Damaged laptop screen, cable enquiry

  stu1162 19:42 06 Oct 2006

I have damaged my laptop screen(dropped it,say no more!), but it boots up ok.
Can I run a monitor cable to another laptop so that I can retrieve my documents?
If so what kind of cable would i be looking at getting and would i be able to buy it at somewhere like pcworld?

  vitrocmax 19:50 06 Oct 2006

You can run monitor cable to a monitor, but not to another laptop. I've been running a screenless Dell for a couple of years.

  vitrocmax 19:52 06 Oct 2006

Sorry, I could have expanded on that. Once you have a monitor connected, you can save all your work on to external storage, or take the hard drive out and fit it in a USB caddy to use it as external storage to another PC.

  stu1162 20:10 06 Oct 2006

Thanks vitrocmax, i will have to get another monitor, maybe a visit to my local tip tomorrow!

  stu1162 13:45 07 Oct 2006

I have just connected my laptop to a monitor and the monitor screen is displaying 'out of range 18-23khz'
Does this mean i now cannot use a monitor, or is it maybe the size of the screen?, i am currently connected to a 14in monitor.

  Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:50 07 Oct 2006

You need to alter the frequency range on your graphics adaptor to approx 75Hz.

  stu1162 13:53 07 Oct 2006

Thanks fruit bat, but how do i do that?

  stu1162 14:05 08 Oct 2006

Please does anyone know if i alter the frequency on my laptop via the control panel or on the monitor?

  Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:40 08 Oct 2006

control panel- system -device manager is the usual way.

press F8 at boot up select safe mode will boot with lowest settings so you should beable to see something on the monitor.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?