Damaged file (ActiveX) how to remove?

six-h 18:29 18 Aug 2010

I've found the above file but cannot remove it.
the "Properties box includes the link:- click here
Which results in an immediate file download with no explanation I've rejected it since I don't know what it is.
How can I delete this file?

six-h 18:33 18 Aug 2010

should have included the name!
{E2883E8F-472F-4FBO-9522-AC9BF37916A7}
created in 2006 (pre-dates my machine!)
last accesed today,
refers to "Version 1.6.2.60"
Size 0KB

northumbria61 00:01 19 Aug 2010

Is this when you are using Internet Explorer?

northumbria61 00:05 19 Aug 2010

The ActiveX components IE uses will be in this location C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files all you should need to do is to right click them and choose properties to check for the damaged ones, then once found right click and choose remove.

six-h 00:15 19 Aug 2010

Hi David, I must be improving my Googleing skills!
I found that too. lol
The only problem is right at the bottom, the guy says: -
"The ActiveX components IE uses will be in this location C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files all you should need to do is to right click them and choose properties to check for the damaged ones, then once found right click and choose remove."

Yeah, you can right click, but the only option you get is "Properties", no option to delete.

northumbria61, I only came across this "Damaged" file whilst looking for something else, I haven't had anything misbehaving in IE8, though since finding this, I have noticed that on youtube, the volume control doesn't work properly...but only those videos that have the "horizontal volume control.
I don't know if this damaged activeX file is the cause.

six-h 00:17 19 Aug 2010

northumbria61, that is what both myself and Lazarus The 2nd found, (see his link), but to coin a phrase, "it doesn't work like that" :-)

six-h 00:32 19 Aug 2010

These are the screens, the first shows the right click context menu...no option to "remove":
click here
click here
click here
click here

six-h 15:12 19 Aug 2010

Thanks David, I abandoned "Reader" years ago and un-installed it but "Trusteer Rapport" security software given by my bank keeps telling me that "Adobe Reader" is out of date and represents a security risk!
Maybe this file is the cause.

Still don't understand why the "new style" volume control in youtube doesn't work properly, I had hoped this ActiveX control was the cause of that, but probably not!

Another conundrum to sort out!

hiwatt 18:39 19 Aug 2010

go to my computer and click on your C drive.Go to your windows folder and double click and open the Downloaded program files folder.You can right click the said file from there and choose delete.

hiwatt 18:42 19 Aug 2010

This works on XP at least.You could also try toolbar crop.This allows you to delete active x files and add ons etc loaded in IE.

six-h 19:29 19 Aug 2010

Hiwatt, the screen shots above were taken at the location you describe but I can't delete, remove or otherwise eradicate the little pest!
You had me foxed when you mentioned "Toolbar Crop" lol
Having googled it, your typo was revealed "Toolbar Cop", I think I'll give that a try, thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?