DAMAGED FILE

rivington 21:26 07 Aug 2008

Hi.I do hope someone can help??
I run XP home edition and I appear to have a damage file (9F1C11AA-197B-4942-BA54-47A84-89BB47F) which relates (v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com).
What problems will this cause and can I restore the file.
Any help will be most welcome.
Rivington.

MsTechie 21:28 07 Aug 2008

When do you see this error message, is it on boot up or when your in Windows, or closing down etc? More info please.

woodchip 21:29 07 Aug 2008

If you have a Full XP CD not a Restore CD, put it in the drive stop it loading, then in the run box type

SFC /SCANNOW press enter See the space before /

rivington 21:34 07 Aug 2008

MsTechie. I do not error message. This was note when I was scannig through the system for something else and I noticed the word DAMAGED against this file.

Woodchip. no I do not have full XP CD only a restore CD.

woodchip 21:36 07 Aug 2008

Try it without the CD it may still work

woodchip 21:37 07 Aug 2008

have you tried running Restore to before the problem with the file

rivington 20:34 08 Aug 2008

woodchip. tried SFC /SCANNOW without CD no luck! As far as restore point before the problem, I do not know when this prob occurred as I only came across it by chance when I was looking through various system files. Any further help would be welcome!!!

MsTechie 21:21 08 Aug 2008

To be honest, if the damaged file isn't causing any problems and you can still use Windows Update I would just ignore it.

Run an indepth spyware/virus scan just incase..

rivington 12:32 09 Aug 2008

Thank you MsTechie. I have run indepth spyware/virus scan with clean report. On Further invest of my sys the 9F1C11A..... appears to refer to Active X. and highlights C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\IUCTL.DLL Damaged. Does this help in trying to locate or cure my prob. All comments and helps is welcomed.

bretsky 17:18 09 Aug 2008

I don't know whether you want to try this, but if you click here and see the codebase link referring to v4 windows update, if you click on that a download will appear in the form of a zip file, download it to your desktop and open it and extract the iuctl.dll to your C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 directory which is where this file resides, you will probably get a window warning you that this file already exists and do you want to copy over it, if yes you will get a fresh copy of the file.

If you had an XP disc and ran scannow this is probably what it would do.

May be someone else has better knowledge?

bretsky ;0)

rivington 12:08 10 Aug 2008

Hi bretsky. Have downloaded the codebase ref to V4. Being not Very tech, to extract iuctl.dll to my directory, do I just type C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 into the extract box.Does this call up the directory???
thank you for any help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?