Damaged computer

JoJoh 17:36 27 Sep 2005

Hi - I am trying to fix a computer for a friend. It is an old Dell Latitude Laptop running Win98SE.

The computer has a virus that will not let it start. Please advise how I can run an anti-virus programme from start-up and/or an anti malaware
programme from a: at start up. I can download these from the web if available.

These need to be self-executing.

Thanks JoJoH

johnnyrocker 17:39 27 Sep 2005

has it got and can you run floppy?

johnny.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:43 27 Sep 2005
  JoJoh 17:49 27 Sep 2005

Hi - It has a floppy and a cd-rom drive but they
are both removable and fit into the same port. Therefore only 1 can be run at 1 time. The computer boots into windows but gets stuck at the screen. Thereafter nothing works. I am sure that it is a trojan problem but I don't know where to find an anti-virus programme that runs from dos and is self-executable.

I just checked the link to Avast Boot Disk but cannot work out which one to download

Thanks
JoJoH

johnnyrocker 18:01 27 Sep 2005

diload stinger from mcaffee via google search and run it on the system or maybe boot into safe mode and run scanreg/restore and it should come up with a list of working dates and pick one of them?

johnny.

woodchip 18:18 27 Sep 2005

try this it's got a virus scanner click here

JoJoh 18:19 27 Sep 2005

Hi - Thanks for the idea ref Stinger however although I can download it to my computer, I cannot get programmes to run on the laptop. Therefore, any programme will need to run as self-executable from a floppy in the a drive when the computer launches

JoJoh 18:27 27 Sep 2005

Hi - Apologies for any confusion. I am alittle unsure how to run programmes from Dos and so prefer a disk that I put into the A- Drive and it runs from there.

Thanks

JoJoH

johnnyrocker 18:28 27 Sep 2005

follow my tip from earlier.

johnny.

JoJoh 18:32 27 Sep 2005

Thanks for the advice ref Stinger however I can't run any programmes in normal or safe mode.
This is why I want to run it from DOS

JoJOH

johnnyrocker 18:53 27 Sep 2005

i was under the impression you were able to run a floppy.

johnny

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?