DABS Value wireless LAN Card PCI.

siouxah1 13:54 23 Mar 2006

I am trying to secure a network of four desktop PCs.
Using Trendnet TEW 435BRM Modem Router. 1108b/g
Trendnet TEW 228 Wireless NIC. 1108b

This combination works well using unsecured network and secured network (WEP) Which I would consider as sufficient security for the present needs.

The problem. Have tried to add two dabs value wireless cards. These are made by Edimax, EW7218g. They are compatible with g. I have set the modem/router up as 1182b/g.

These two edimax cards work well on unsecured network.

They will not work on the secured network. When the screen comes up for securing on wep the "apply" button is greyed out.

I have been to the EDIMAX website and down loaded the latest drivers for the card. Unfotunatley the card does not recognise the drivers.

Does anyone have any knowledge of these cards that can throw some light on the subject?

Can anyone suggest any other things that I can do to recover the situation before I throw them out of the window in a fit of pique?

One other thing - when using the original drivers the about screen returns an IP address that is outside the range of the modem/router.

The network uses M2K.

Brian

Danoh 15:20 23 Mar 2006

do the wireless cards cater for WEP encryption for sure (especially as they do work on the unsecured network)?
IP addresses are assigned by the router's DHCP server. As the cards are not set up, owned and recognised by your router's LAN, they can not be controlled and assigned an IP within the router's range.

siouxah1 17:03 23 Mar 2006

Danoh, thanks for replying.
(As an aside this is my first foray into wireless network.) So it could well be an error by me.
Yes, the card does indeed support WEP as a minimum. Checked manual and the WEP incryption screen does come up. It is at this point that the "APPLY" button is greyed out.
I have just acquired a Belkin. Hope I have better success. Will come back with the result.
Brian

Danoh 21:24 23 Mar 2006

Are your secured and unsecured networks both wireless? Or one wired and the other wireless? Or have you changed one wireless network's settings from secured to unsecured?

siouxah1 06:09 24 Mar 2006

Danoh
Had no luck with the Belkin or indeed a UR055g Inexo USB adapter.
The whole thing disintegrated last evening and am now on PC wired to the Modem/Router.
I will now go back to all 11b and start from there again.

I am beginning to suspect that the Trendnet modem/router is not fully 11g compatible as it says it is. Have tried 11g cards from Belkin - Inexo- Edimax. Will try to find update for the trendnet drivers.

Will leave this open for a while. Thanks for your help to date. Will come back when I have updated the modem drivers and have the 11b up and running with encryption.

Brian

siouxah1 06:09 24 Mar 2006

Danoh
Had no luck with the Belkin or indeed a UR055g Inexo USB adapter.
The whole thing disintegrated last evening and am now on PC wired to the Modem/Router.
I will now go back to all 11b and start from there again.

I am beginning to suspect that the Trendnet modem/router is not fully 11g compatible as it says it is. Have tried 11g cards from Belkin - Inexo- Edimax. Will try to find update for the trendnet drivers.

Will leave this open for a while. Thanks for your help to date. Will come back when I have updated the modem drivers and have the 11b up and running with encryption.

Brian

siouxah1 21:20 24 Mar 2006

Danoh, thank you for your help.
I think it is now resolved. The Trendnet modem/router does support both 11g/11b.

Have now installed and have running the Inexo, which is a USB dongle. Quick and easy to install the second time around.

The Belkin is also installed and working. It was very slow to become recognised, but did it in the end.

The Edimax is showing a connection, but also shows a WEP error. I think I have traced it down to the software. It seems not to allow upper case for the encryption keys and the "apply" button remains greyed out. I will continue to search for further driver updates and perhaps get them to run sucessfully.

I will tick as resolved. Now have two 11b and two 11g cards up and running on the LAN.

Brian

siouxah1 21:22 24 Mar 2006

Danoh 21:30 24 Mar 2006

4 successful wireless-enabled computers!

I would have been too chicken to get a lesser known brand from DABS.com as I dread their Returns (RMA) process, never mind trying to contact them in the 1st instance should anything go wrong!
For aspects easier then networking there is a lot less risk of things not going well.

Glad my ramblings from the sidelines have been of some support.

pipedream 23:55 24 Mar 2006

These drivers should work - I've just updated my Edimax laptop card to the latest version which has fixed some problems... click here & click the entry for Drv 3.0.3.0 under 11g-RT2500

siouxah1 09:20 25 Mar 2006

Thanks for that pointer. Not sure whether I have tried that one or not. Will download and try it.

Did you have any trouble with the "apply" button being greyed out on the wireless encryption screen?

Brian

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?