D-link wireless NIC + Dell Latitude

wfulton_2121 10:55 14 Mar 2007

Hi, we have 15 Dell laptops that are used as a mobile classroom in a school.

Each laptop is a Dell Latitude D505 and has a D-link wireless network card in the PCMICA slot.

The laptops and their connection to the wireless access point have been fine for the last 12 months, however suddenly users cannot log onto the school network due to domain not being available.

So as an administrator i log onto the laptops locally to try and troubleshoot the problem.

I find that the D-link wireless utility is still installed along with the drivers, but when i look in "show all connections" the connection relevant to he wireless card is not there.

So i reseat the card and windows asks me to install new hardware that it does not have drivers for.

This is a school environment and i am led to believe it could be wear and tear, as the children are known to pull the wireless cards out from the laptops without properly ejecting them, could this cause damage to the pin layout and therefore cause the wireless cards not o work?

Any suggestions

Thank you.

mgmcc 08:25 15 Mar 2007

If all of the laptops (wireless adapters) are failing to find the Wireless Access Point, I would tend to suspect that the problem lies there. You should be able to prove or disprove that by trying to connect a "known good laptop" to it.

The problem of reinserting the PCMCIA cards and Windows finding new hardware is very strange, particularly if this is being repeated across all of the laptops. There shouldn't be any problem removing and replacing these cards and Windows should recognise them as hardware that is already installed.

It is always possible that a recent Windows Update has messed things up, if the computers do get updated regularly.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?