D-Link wireless dongle not connecting to router

Ricktos 20:47 10 Jan 2008

Hi all,

Just been round a friends to have a look at his laptop after he's had problems connecting to the net. Unfortunately, I'm bemused as to what the problem is.

He has a D-Link AirPlus DWLG122 Direct Port Wireless Adapter 802.11g and a wireless internet connection via Virgin. They have an ethernet cable which they can use which works perfectly as well as a Desktop PC with a wireless NIC which receives the connection perfectly too.

His laptop has an Intel Centrino wireless NIC inside but he says it has never worked and has only ever used the D-Link. For no apparent reason, his connection via the dongle worked perfectly but is now unable to connect and receive a signal. The dongle works on another laptop so we know it's not that. The connection is still fine both wirelessly and via cable with other computers so we know it's not that.

I thought maybe there was a conflict between the internal NIC and the dongle but these seem fine. I tried a system restore just in case anything had changed. There was some life initially and it started to connect, but it eventually failed.

The Network Connections area shows the disabled internal NIC and the dongle but the dongle shows as not connected. When trying to find a network for it to connect to it does detect the router but when trying to connect it it tries for a while and the page refreshed.

Thanks if you stayed with me till the end there. He's running XP by the way, I would really appreciate some help and advice.

Many thanks...

Ricktos 13:14 22 Jan 2008

The simplest things eh, this turned out to be a driver problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?