D-Link Wireless adapter card problems

griffo 13:29 14 May 2005

I ahve a D-Link AirPlus Extreme (DWL-G650+) adapter card in my HP Omnibook XE3 (XP Pro), which keeps losing its' connection to the LAN. Does anyone know what may be causing this please?

Taff36 14:17 14 May 2005

Look at the signal strength. The should be a D-Link utility in your task bar bottom right of your screen. Double click it and tell us what the signal strength is. If it is low, I guess less than 50% it could just be dropping lower occasionally and you lose it.

woodchip 14:18 14 May 2005

This is something I have been struggling with for over two weeks. I think I found the Problem. If there is a Lan Connection on your Laptop you need to disable it. So right click My Computer/Properties/Hardware/Device Manager double click on the Network Adapters then Double lick on the opened Ethernet connector there should be two item one for the card and one you need to Disable that is the built in Ethernet

griffo 14:27 14 May 2005

Taff36 - not a signal strength problem, it shows that as excellent.

Woodchip - don't think I should disable the ethernet adapter as I mostly connect using a cable. It's only when I need to work out of reach of any cable points that I want to use the wireless adapter?

woodchip 14:39 14 May 2005

Well that's the Problem as my comp is OK now. The computer does not know what to use in your case. You can go back through the above to renable it

griffo 14:51 14 May 2005

If I disable the ethernet one (Intel Pro/100 VE Network Connection), am I right in thinking that it will stop my laptop working with a cable connection? I should mention that it all used to work OK when I first bought/installed the card. It is only latterly that it has started misbehaving.

woodchip 15:28 14 May 2005

yes but you can enable it by doing the above in reverse

griffo 10:34 15 May 2005

OK thanks, will give it a try.

Taff36 08:16 06 Jun 2005

Did you solve this one griffo?

griffo 09:44 06 Jun 2005

Unfortunately not, even though I have good signal strength as still lose the connection.

Taff36 10:29 06 Jun 2005

Did you follow Woodchips advice and temporarily disable the ethernet connection? I am sometimes losing my internet connection if the signal dips for a short perion. Whilst surfing the web I usually have to click the "connect" button a few times. I have also had to set up my dial up connections to "never dial a connection".

Could this be an IP address issue? Check that your TCP/IP settings are set to automatically detect settings. Don`t specify an address for it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?