D-LINK G604T

peug417 22:08 23 May 2005

I have just bought a D-link dsl g604t in preparation of receiving Broadband next week. i have my pc running winxp and my laptop is also running xp with a new d link dwl g650 card. The laptop is showing the g604 as connected and excellent reception but i cant access them via the network. Firstly is it poss to use the g604 as a hub without the adsl connection, if so how do i set uo the network

mgmcc 23:43 23 May 2005

Yes, you should be able to use the router to network the PCs for File & Printer Sharing without having the ADSL connection working yet.

You need to set any folders that you want to have available over the network as "shared", by right clicking and selecting the Sharing & Security option (and to facilitate getting the PCs talking to one another, I would suggest at least one folder be shared in each PC).

Both PCs need to be in the SAME Workgroup and any firewall software needs to be configured to allow access to the networked PCs by entering their IP addresses in the "trusted" area.

Personally, unless you are familiar with networking, I would be inclined to get the network running properly with "wired" connections and once you are happy with the way that is running, get the laptop set up for a WiFi connection.

peug417 07:23 24 May 2005

Thanks for that info, will try that out later, i already have files set as shared on both pc's. When i run the network wizard it wont see the laptop. When i use the wireless network wizard it asks fo the info to put on a flash drive then input into the router then the other pc, but i cant see a usb outlet on the router. I have plugged the info into the other pc but cannot set up a network. Will hard wire them later and let you know the reuslts.

BigMoFoT 11:22 26 May 2005

use the windows wizard - The dlink router should have it's own interface to set up your wireless network. You should also ensure that all PC's are in the same workgroup before checking file and printer sharing..

peug417 23:39 27 May 2005

OK after trying unsuccesfuly to use the windows wizard to set up my network i called in my friend works with networks on a daily basis,
i will attempt to expalin what he done although he typed so fast i may have missed something.
1st step was to establish the the router had a nip address of 192.168.1.1, the first pc was set at 192.168.1.2 and the second pc as 192.168.1.3. the printer was setup as a reserved staic setting of 192.168.1.200.
We then had a go at pinging the devices to no avail. it was discovered we had to alter the settings in Norton Internet security to allow the first pc to access the second via the intrusion detector tab. Then we mapped the drives i wanted to access. on the second pc.
all is working well with me being able to acess and print to upstairs. roll on tuesday when BB arrives. I am currently trying to protect the wireless network with wpa.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy Note 8 review

Be inspired by powerful National Theatre posters from the past 50 years

How to use the new Photos, Notes and Safari features in macOS High Sierra

Galaxy Note 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie