D-Link dsl-604+

karmgord 19:39 01 May 2006

can anyone direct me to where i can download the quick install guide for my d-link dsl-604+ , i've looked at dlink.com & dlink.co.uk and not found it, but thats NOT TO SAY ITS NOT THERE

terryf 19:43 01 May 2006
  Woolwell 19:45 01 May 2006

Can only find the full manual

click here==

karmgord 20:58 01 May 2006

thanks a million how come i can never find them'just thick i suppose

Taff™ 06:38 02 May 2006

D-Link G604T

First of all you should set up the router using the blue cable supplied connected to an Ethernet port – RJ-45 connector not the RJ-11 telephone cable that you would associate with a standard telephone/modem connection. This is recommended but if you don`t have one on the Laptop you`ll need to do it wirelessly anyway. It`s only a security precaution I think.

Install the USB adapter software onto your computer BEFORE plugging in the adapter itself. Reboot and then plug it in. Your computer will recognise the new hardware and install the drivers for it. If you have done it the wrong way round you must remove the adapter, uninstall it from Add/Remove programs and reboot the computer. Start again!

Open IE and type in 192.168.1.1 to access the router admin pages. On the Setup tab click wireless and ensure that enable AP (Access Point) is ticked and, for the moment security is set to none. Now click the apply button. Don`t forget to save your settings by going to the Tools Tab and select System settings – Save then the Back button that appears on the page (Not the browser back button) then the Restart AP button to reboot the router. You may have to wait for a few minutes and then return to the admin pages. You`re WAN light should now be solid green.

Now go to Wireless Connection 1 on the Setup Tab and set up your connection details as provided by your ISP. If your ISP hasn`t given you all the settings don`t change the defaults.

I would strongly recommend that you now change the default login details if you haven`t done so. Anyone that sees your network could guess the IP address, it`s common to a lot of routers and the login factory settings are the same.

Setting up WEP

Access the router admin 192.168.1.1 with http:// before it of course. Go to the setup page and clicking the connection 1 button on the left hand pane. Select the WEP radio button and tick the enable box. Authentication type should be open.

Under select, select the first radio button and then set the drop down box to the right at 64. Type in an encryption key. For example A12345678B using ten hexadecimal keys i.e.0-9 and a-f. Make a note of the key!

Don`t forget to save your settings by going to the Tools Tab and select System settings – Save then the Back button that appears on the page (Not the browser back button) then the Restart AP button to reboot the router. You may have to wait for a few minutes. Now you`ll have to scan for the router on each of your PC`s and enter the same encryption key on each of them. You should be able to add the connection, once it`s established, to the profile which means it will remember it and you won`t have to type in the key every time.

Network Connection Wizard

To set up a network between computers on your wireless network you need to run the Network Connection Wizard from Start>Control Panel>Network Connection Wizard. Click next. View the checklist and then press next. If the wizard says it found disconnected network hardware tick the box to ignore disconnected hardware and click next. Select the radio button that says “this computer connects through a residential gateway. Click next and fill in the computer description (e,g, Desktop) Leave the Computer Name as it is currently. Click next and type the name of your network exactly as you`ve set up previously. (MSHOME is the default on XP) Turn on File and print sharing. Next and check the settings then next again. Wait while the wizard configures settings. Select the create a disk option and put a floppy in the drive.

Follow the instructions and put the disk in the desktop. Run the file and complete the wizard in the same manner but filling in the correct info for the desktop. I think you have to reboot both machines at the end of the wizard. If you have XP on both machines you don`t have to transfer the floppy, simply repeat the procedure on the other XP computer but you will have to remember some of the settings accurately!

To see other computers on the network go to network neighbourhood on each machine. Test it by transferring a file from one machine to the other. Note that the files must be in the “Shared Folders” on each machine. You can add another folder (e.g. My Music) by using Windows Explorer and dragging (My Music) to the shared folders.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

There’s more to Finnish artist Tove Jansson than creating the Moomins

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder la Coupe du monde de rugby à XIII en direct ?