D-Link DSL-2740R reliability

andy625 13:19 05 Jan 2011

I recently changed my router from a Netgear unit to a D-Link DSL-2740R after reading reviews recommending the unit.

Since changing I initially noticed that wireless connection was ureliable which I though was due to a coverage problem. The router was in the same place as the old one which had good coverage, however the range seemed to be less.

I moved the router to a point more central in our house and wireless range has now been ok, however I've found a few times that although the wireless network is ok, the router loses internet connection and the red internet light comes on. Sometimes if you wait a few minutes, the connection will be restored, other times I have to reboot the router.

I have checked with my broadband company (Newnet), and there are no problems with the router settings, or broadband service.

Has anyone else exoerienced this?

I purchsed the D-Link unit hoping that it would be an improvement on my old Netgear unit, however at the moment I think the Netgear would be more reliable.

961 14:23 05 Jan 2011

It's a good router but perhaps not the very best in hanging on to a less than perfect line to the internet

You don't say how far away from your telephone exchange you are or what your ISP has actually done to check that everything really is OK. Often, it can look ok from their end but in reality things may be different

You may care to mull through this

click here

This programme

click here

will tell you what is actually happening on your line but what I would say is that, if you don't want to immerse yourself in this stuff (which can over the course of time turn you in to a gibbering wreck of a geek) there are two things to try

First, put your old router back and see if the internet connection problem resolves. Some Netgear routers have a high ability to hang on to poor internet connections far beyond the ability of other makes

I could guess which router your old one was. Can you tell me?

Second, log the statistics on router stats lite for a few days and see what your SNR margin is. You'll see where the drop outs happen. The DLink may have trouble when the margin goes below 3. The Netgear will, I suggest, hang on longer

Let's know how you get on

andy625 16:43 05 Jan 2011

Thanks for the reply. I think you're right about the ability to hang on to a less than perfect line. I think we are a fair way away from the exchange, also backed up by our broadband speed only being 1.1 right up until just before Christmas when it jumped to 3.3.

I'll try the routerstats prog tonight and see what happens.

Our old router was a Netgear DG834N, except I never got a reliable wireless connection on the N band and always had it set on G.

961 17:23 05 Jan 2011

Your old router is one of the very best for hanging on to an internet connection on an imperfect line as you'll see from the web sites such as the one I suggested

Old it may be but it might be worth remembering it can hang on to a zero snr margin line where others just give up

One solution is to retain it for your internet connection and either use wired ethernet connections within your house or, alternatively, use your new router to radiate the signal indoors

andy625 19:19 05 Jan 2011

Just checked and here are a few figures:

Downstream Upstream
Rate (Kbps): 4896 kbps 448 kbps

SNR Margin (dB): 4.5 20
Attenuation (dB): 47 25
Output Power (dBm): 19.5 12.5

andy625 20:18 05 Jan 2011

I didn't know that about the Netgear router until today. We've tended to find that the Netgear units seem to expire after a couple of years or so. They drop out with increasing regularity, although I'm not sure if its jus th wireles side thats disconnecting.

How would I use the new router to radiate the signal indoors? Do you connect them together somehow?

woodchip 20:58 05 Jan 2011

Try changing the Wireless Channel in the router settings

woodchip 21:00 05 Jan 2011

Try changing the Wireless Channel in the router settings. Mine is set to 5 but you may have to try others for it to stay connected 1 to 11 I think

961 09:52 06 Jan 2011

Your snr margin is at the low end of what is required for that router to hang on to the connection

If you leave router stats lite running over the day you'll see how the margin varies

Late afternoon is often the worst period

andy625 10:33 06 Jan 2011

Woodchip, I did initially try changing the wireless channel when I thought that the problem was purely a wireless coverage issue, however I established that the reason I'd lost the internet connection was actually because the router itself had lost the internet connection.

961, thanks, I didn't know the limits were. I had the program running for a while last night, and the values did fluctuate a little from the initial reading. My wife did say that it dropped out alot yesterday afternoon, so that would seem logocal from what you've said.

Yesterday the router was connected to the BT socket via an extension lead (so that it could be situated in the middle of the house), but I've now changed it so that it is connected directly into the BT socket. If it still loses the connection today, I think I'll switch back to the old router, or maybe buy another Netgear unit.

961 10:57 06 Jan 2011

Keep a record of the readings you currently have and then connect the router to the test socket within the BT master socket

(Unscrew the 2 screws that secure the faceplate of the BT socket, gently remove the faceplate and connect the router directly to the socket within the box. You don't need any microfilters.)

This will eliminate any faults caused by internal house phone wiring, faulty microfilters etc

Take readings again over a few hours, particularly snr margin late afternoon. If there is little or no difference then you may need to ask your ISP to get BT to investigate the low snr margin as this will cause dropouts. It could be poor BT line, damp in junction boxes etc

If there is a marked difference then there are faults/earth leaks in the house wiring. In this circumstance get an NTE5 faceplate which will isolate your broadband circuit and provide best results

click here

or type NTE5 into google for others

If the master socket is remote from the router you can use an extension lead of up to 20 metres without much drop in performance

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?