D link connected but no internet

vliety 21:52 28 May 2008

I've just tried to set a friends desktop pc through a SMC Barricade, wireless internet connection. The router is setup and I have set the router to pick up dns automatically with channel 7 SSID as part of the setup. The wireless D link is picking up the router but I'm unable to get an internet connection. Any suggestions please, we've come to a dead end...help!!!

brundle 22:15 28 May 2008

Cable or ADSL? Did you swap a cable modem for the router (if cable)? DId you check the connection status in the router config pages?

mgmcc 17:16 29 May 2008

<<< The wireless D link is picking up the router >>>

Have you actually "Connected" to the wireless network? In other words, have you run the wireless adapter's software, scanned for "Available Wireless Networks", found and highlighted the one that matches your router's SSID (network name) and selected the option to "Connect" to it? You should be prompted to enter any WEP or WPA encryption key and, once "Connected", the wireless adapter should get its IP address by DHCP from the router and you should have network and internet access.

There is a difference between the Wireless Network Adapter and Router communicating with a good signal and "Connecting" (as in "logging in") to your Wireless network.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?