D-Link Cable Router

griffo 18:10 01 Sep 2007

I have just bought a D-Link DIR-635 Wireless Router for my Son to use with a new imac, on NTL cable broadband.

He hasn't set-up the imac yet but looking at the instructions for setting-up the Router, I am puzzled (doesn't take much!). The box says that it can be used with ADSL or Cable but that an Ethernet cable must be used to connect the Router to the modem. The ADSL v10 BT box I have, doesn't have an Ethernet connector, will the modem that is going to be installed by NTL have one? Would this mean that to use it here on ADSL, we would need a modem as well? (we don't intend to use it here - just curious).

Also, as my Son will only use wireless with his Mac, is it necessary to connect the Mac to the Router by RJ45 in order to do the setting-up?

Forum Editor 18:37 01 Sep 2007

you need a cable modem, and that will have an ethernet port.

If you want to use the router with a landline ADSL serrvice you'll need a modem.

Yes, you must connect a router to a computer to do the initial set-up. The router will have come with a cable provided specifically for that purpose.

griffo 19:07 01 Sep 2007

Thanks for the reply. Understand all that.

The D-Link Router does come with a short ethernet cable but only one. That will do for connecting the router to the modem but we will need another to connect the router to the Mac, initially, to do the setup - right?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?