Cyberlink shuts out legimitate users

jordi2 11:02 18 Sep 2003

I got my Powerd DVD4 embeded with Windows XP, so I suppose I am a legitimate user who's paid for the service.
Now I need to access customer support for a query about a problem I am having, and they ask me for my CD Key, guess what...Cyberlink does not include a CD serial number on the product!They tell me to contact my vendor (the computer is 2 years old and vendor is out od business), now they say to send a screenshot of my CD case but it came with windows, so obviously that's impossible.
The result is that I paid for the product through a third party (Windows or the PC shop) and I can't get Cyberlink to give me support because this freaks can't include a serial number with their products that can be seen once installed.

Has anyone had the same problem?

PS:Sorry for the length of the post

Jester2K II 11:46 18 Sep 2003

click here

Will tell you the CD Key used under Software Licenses.

The problem is you bought an OEM copy of the program (even if you didn't realise it) with the PC and under OEM rules only the PC vendor can give you support. Same with your Windows installation too, MS will not support that either.

Jester2K II 11:52 18 Sep 2003

Further explanation.

The above scenario is correct - very annoying but correct.

When you bought the PC the vendor uses OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) copies of the software - Power DVD and Windows too. Cheaper but the vendor must support it not Cyberlink or Microsoft.

The PC vendor has the CD Keys for these programs.

Cyberlink are correct in that they don't have to support OEM copies. Sadly (and i see this all the time) the vendor is out of business so you are in the same situation a lot of my customers get in.

they have a Tiny PC - hard drive needs replacing. I can get the Windows CD Key from the case but i can't install Office, Power DVD, EasyCD / Nero without them buying new copies because i have no CD keys for these products.

You should see the look on their faces...

Jester2K II 11:57 18 Sep 2003

No comment?

jordi2 12:06 18 Sep 2003

Yes, thanks very much for your answer, I thought "no comment" because I am trying to breath deep so that I don't flame cyberlink.
I will seriously consider Linux, To hell with all this greedy fat cats

jordi2 12:08 18 Sep 2003

You said that Microsoft also does not have to support the product, but they provide upadtes through the internet to my Windows XP

jordi2 12:09 18 Sep 2003

Long live Linux and the OPen Source Movement!

Jester2K II 12:10 18 Sep 2003

True - you can get the updates. However you can't phone them up or e-mail for support.

"To hell with all this greedy fat cats" - Hows that then??

You got the software at a fraction of the Retail price because it was OEM. Its just unfortunate that the company you bought from went under.

SEASHANTY 12:17 18 Sep 2003

Would DVD Genie be of any help with your problem. It works with versions of Power DVD. Can be downloaded free from website. click here

jordi2 12:19 18 Sep 2003

Until I install Linux and I learn how it works I will be using Genie.

That solves all the problems!

Thanks to all

jordi2 12:21 18 Sep 2003

"To hell with all this greedy fat cats" - Hows that then??

You got the software at a fraction of the Retail price because it was OEM. Its just unfortunate that the company you bought from went under.

-------------------------------------------

I withdraw that comment done in a moment of madness

apologies.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?