C:\WINDOWS\Temp rogue files filling up hard drive

Goonersteve 23:47 10 May 2007

Over the last couple of weeks I have noticed that I am getting some strange files appearing in the above folder that keep growing in size (the largest so far was over 80GB)and filling up my hard drive. There is always at least two similiar files and whilst I can delete most of them there is always one left that I can't, getting the error message that it is being used by another person or program and that I should close any programs that might be using the file and try again. This never works. Restarting the PC allows me to then delete the file but by that time another one has appeared which I can't delete (same error message). Examples of the files (which all have the same prefix) are;

sqlite_2mPNfcntlwI6AZb
sqlite_d0YRJOci7tcaN03
sqlite_HC20aBoXKe9Ngb1
sqlite_c7THLl5bn6kPisn
sqlite_qByGGN59gA1ccfv
sqlite_KPoMOqgW0mcaJyW

I have run various virus scans (with AVG 7.5 total system scans and specifically on the particular file) and no threat has been found.

The problem started around the time I first installed Norton 360, which I have subsequently unistalled after it was grinding my PC to a halt.

Does anyone know how I can rectify this annoying problem!

Many thanks!

Steve.

MAJ 00:08 11 May 2007

Have you tried deleting the temp files in Safe mode, using something like CCleaner. click here
Alternatively, a System Restore to a date prior to the problem starting might help in deleting whatever is causing the problem.

STREETWORK 08:02 11 May 2007

Run the on-line scanner from Trend to see if there is any spyware/malware installed on the PC

click here

birdface 09:10 11 May 2007

Googled it ,click here

Goonersteve 17:12 03 Jun 2007

Well thanks for all the suggestions guys, in the end I managed to fix it by deleting a nasty little thing call KService.exe that was running. I have a feeling that it was something to do with the Channel 4 on demand program.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

11 best portfolio websites for designers and artists

Office for Mac buying guide: Price, Office 2017 rumours & new features

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?