C:\windows\system32\hal.dll Error on XP Pro Boot

Giggle n' Bits 22:24 23 Jul 2008

Swicth on a XP Pro machine and this error comes up C:\windows\system32\hal.dll Error on WinXP Pro after XP SP3 install.

I carn't guarantee this was caused by XP SP3 install but it most likley to be the culprit, spoke to Microsoft but no use apart from they fix thing by asking you to press F8 on boot. Ok, Last known or Safe mode no use just boots back to the error.

Have tried Recovery console and chkdsk /P & chkdsk /r with no joy.

Managed to put HDD on Slave to other XP desktop to back-up My Docs but need back-up of Outlook Espress Emails and Attachments ASAP for presentation. I have scanned the HDD to be fine.

Looked on the google for fix but many options to fix boot problem. Could I do something with it been attached as a slave on my working XP machine. is their really a missing dll file I wonder ?

Any ideas on this one ?

Taff™ 22:27 23 Jul 2008

Back up everything! Look for .dbx files which are the OE files.

woodchip 22:31 23 Jul 2008
  Giggle n' Bits 22:57 23 Jul 2008

Woodchip, Good bit of diagnosic work their for me to follow, will start in a moment with my cuppa.

Woodchip, you should have a aniversary for being in the PCA Forum, I remember when your name first appeared here in the Forum years ago. Hope all is ok in HF for you and will let you know when I have got it cracked following you link and tips for fixie. Regards S.

woodchip 23:00 23 Jul 2008

Hope the link works for you, Thanks yes I have been hear a few years

Giggle n' Bits 00:56 24 Jul 2008

but first tried and managed to slave dbx & Wab files into working master drive outlook Express with attachments. So I can just clean install now to save on time.

I will keep the link for ref though as their is quite some good stuff their so thanks again woodchip ! Until next time.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Graphic tees: 14 best websites to find your next T-shirt

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017