Custom PC Case Build: Help with parts

ArfanMaulana 04:48 08 May 2014

Hello. Thanks for visiting my first thread. So in a few months, I am going to build a custom case out of wood, and I need a few hardware helps, and I am going to start with this first:

Motherboard: To attach it, do I have to apply a special sheet/layer for the screw to fit in, or do I just drill the screw in?

Thanks

bumpkin 10:33 08 May 2014

Why do you want to do this and what timber do you intend to use, is it for appearance purposes.

When I was considering a similar project I was thinking on the lines of a standard metal case that slid into a wooden surround made from Oak or mahogany faced ply finished with French polish. This would give a secure fixing for the components and easy access to the innards if required.

ArfanMaulana 12:26 08 May 2014

bubkin, I haven't decided yet. I don't really know what is available now.

MechKB, well, I am also into upgradability. Changing the motherboard and all. I don't want all my work to go to waste!

bumpkin 12:50 08 May 2014

Unless you want it to be monstrous great thing you need something fairly thin but also stable due to the heat factor which is why I was thinking about 10mm ply. Anyway good luck with it.

BRYNIT 12:55 08 May 2014

If you do a search you will find people that have built a wooden computer case and how they did it.

bumpkin 13:08 08 May 2014

BRYNIT, I have just had a browse and there is some truly amazing stuff that people have done. I wish I had that kind of imagination.

ArfanMaulana 13:57 08 May 2014

I tried searching on how people made these cases, but not how they built it. The components, the parts, the screws, I found none of those. But if you found anything, please tell me! Send a URL

john bunyan 14:48 08 May 2014

MechKB 2

The link wood (sic) not work, for me; got "Page could not be displayed" message.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?