Currys Product Support?

fifemale93 13:14 14 Nov 2006

Anyone bought a PC/Laptop from Currys and got their Product Support, service any good etc?

Is there much difference between Currys and PCWorld's support (apart from the Healthcheck from PCWorld?)

Any help would be great

Miros 13:40 14 Nov 2006

I wouldn't buy any ones Product support, all goods carry some kind of warranty for the first year or so. After that if you can't repair or maintain you should think of replacing.

It's like giving a free donation to Curry's or PC World why would you want to do that? put it on your piggy bank for a rainy day instead :-)

postie24 14:14 14 Nov 2006

Pc world & currys are part of same company,so dont think there would be much difference between their product support.Best to take miros,s advice anyway,regards,postie

Miros 15:44 14 Nov 2006

Had second thoughts about this, if you can afford it get it as I understand that it's a good source of extra income for these companies, in fact I believe it is very profitable, they sell this to you, take their cut then and pass on the responsibility to some other company. This enables them to keep costs down on their original items for sale, which in turn will be to my benefit. So yes get it if only for likes of me please.

Thanks, Miros :-)

Miros 16:13 14 Nov 2006

Had second thoughts about this, if you can afford it get it as I understand that it's a good source of extra income for these companies, in fact I believe it is very profitable, they sell this to you, take their cut then and pass on the responsibility to some other company.
This enables them to keep costs down on their original in store items for sale, which in turn will be to my benefit a form of subsidy if you like. So yes get it if only for likes of me please as I will never buy it.

Thanks, Miros :-)

spuds 16:49 14 Nov 2006

It's like a lot of these type of 'extras'. They can look very good on paper, and sometimes they are good, but the final proof is at times of need. Looking through some past forum postings, there as been good and bad stated about the DSG Group of companies, and the warranties on offer.

For the first six months, consumer law is strongly in your favour. After that time, your rights may decrease slightly, but in the case of a laptop or PC, then the six year rule may apply.

If you are slightly computer savvy, or are able to use advice offered within the forum, then save your money. If you want total assurance, then buy the 'extras' and see how you fair.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?