curious web problem

edennorman 17:46 31 May 2004

Hi

I have just built and tested a simple web site...so far so good.

I had problems uploading it with IE or Front Page and had to upload it folder by folder, but when I looked, most of the thumbnails which led to larger images were missing, not all of them but most of them. Every thumbnail which was missing led to a larger images whcih was also missing.

Any thumbnail which was visible led to a larger image that was also visible. Never found a thumbnail missing which led to a larger image which was there and vice versa.

Anyone know what might be causing this? I have tried deleting the thumbnails which are missing and replacing them by ftp but still no joy.

HEEEEELP

eden

Valvegrid 18:03 31 May 2004

It sounds like a problem with the code somewhere. Can you post the URL of your site so we can have a look, it may give some clues. It maybe worth asking the people on this forum as well, that's where the experts hang out.

click here

Also what FTP client are you using to upload your files, because you should be able to see if your image files are really on the server.

Taran 18:21 31 May 2004

You don't say whether you created the site in FrontPage but i will assume that you did.

A rule of thumb is that you should either publish direct from FrontPage or use FTP but not mix the two.

This sounds like a classic case of files either missing from the published web or files that have not been published properly rendering them unusable.

Try to explain what the problems were when publishing via FrontPage. If we can sort them out you should be up and running in short order.

edennorman 09:38 01 Jun 2004

Ok Taran/Valvegrid this is what happened..

I created the site in Front Page 2000...I had been led to believe that I could just drag and drop the site from my desktop to my ftp and that is what I did...the first problem was that doing it this way although the directory tree uploaded all the folders were empty and also the index page would not upload.

So I tried to upload using front page...I checked that the ftp address....user name and password were correct but after I entered the ftp and other details and clicked "publish web" I got an error message which read:

"Could not find web server at "home.btconnect.com" on port 21 make sure that the web server name is valid and your proxy settings are set correctly.

"home.btconnect.com was the ftp address I had been given and it has been confirmed as being correct.

I had thought that maybe I had spaces, or some other case sensitive sdmbols in my file extensions...but they are okay.

In desperation (and to check that the file extensions were ok and I had'nt missed one) I uploaded (by drag and drop from the desktop)one file at a time and everything went up ok but when I checked the links I found the probelm that I mentioned....viz: some thumbnails were missing and also the larger image that the thumbnail led to was missing as well.

So I had tried to ftp with Front Page and drag and drop from the desktop...I have not tried another ftp client....my brother has a copy of Flash FXP could I use that?

OK now you know as much as I do.....no actualy no one could know this little :)

By the way the site is at this address...

click here

Thank you for your trouble and kindness.

eden

edennorman 09:38 01 Jun 2004

Ok Taran/Valvegrid this is what happened..

I created the site in Front Page 2000...I had been led to believe that I could just drag and drop the site from my desktop to my ftp and that is what I did...the first problem was that doing it this way although the directory tree uploaded all the folders were empty and also the index page would not upload.

So I tried to upload using front page...I checked that the ftp address....user name and password were correct but after I entered the ftp and other details and clicked "publish web" I got an error message which read:

"Could not find web server at "home.btconnect.com" on port 21 make sure that the web server name is valid and your proxy settings are set correctly.

"home.btconnect.com was the ftp address I had been given and it has been confirmed as being correct.

I had thought that maybe I had spaces, or some other case sensitive sdmbols in my file extensions...but they are okay.

In desperation (and to check that the file extensions were ok and I had'nt missed one) I uploaded (by drag and drop from the desktop)one file at a time and everything went up ok but when I checked the links I found the probelm that I mentioned....viz: some thumbnails were missing and also the larger image that the thumbnail led to was missing as well.

So I had tried to ftp with Front Page and drag and drop from the desktop...I have not tried another ftp client....my brother has a copy of Flash FXP could I use that?

OK now you know as much as I do.....no actualy no one could know this little :)

By the way the site is at this address...

click here

Thank you for your trouble and kindness.

eden

edennorman 09:43 01 Jun 2004

Ooops last night I deleted the site...I will try and put it up again now (09:43 UK time)

eden

edennorman 09:55 01 Jun 2004

Hello again

I tried uploading with my brothers copy of Flash FXP but kept getting "connection failed"

Once again I draggged and dropped the site file by file onto my ftp and this time NONE of the images are there.

Also checked the files through my ftp and found that 99% of them are a fraction smaller in size than the corresponding files on my desktop...does this mean anything?

Thank you people.

hug

eden

Taran 10:43 01 Jun 2004

Who is your ISP and what level of account do you have with them ?

The new BT Yahoo! account setup offers you Geocities webspace and full instructions on FTP can be found on their help pages.

When you say you were dragging your files to FTP were you using Internet Explorer to upload them or a third party FTP program ?

I suggest in the short term that you contact your ISP help department and request confirmation of the recommended FTP publishing process and whether or not they allow publishing from FrontPage.

Some ISPs no longer allow FTP and supply you with a simple upload control panel.

Discrepancies in file sizes could just be down to how a UNIX server reads the files by comparison to Windows so don't worry too much about that just yet.

One final point: when you created your pages did you make a folder in the website for your images and put all of the images you linked to into it ?

You'd be amazed at how many people link to an image on their desktop, or in their MYDocuments folder and when they upload the page the link to the image is broken. All images should be copied to a folder in the website called images and you should insert them into your pages from that location.

edennorman 12:15 01 Jun 2004

Hmmm I think I have it...at least it might be what do u think?

All the pics have the extension .jpg

But on the html page it refers to the pics as .JPG

Upper and Lower case...would that make a difference?

eden

Taran 12:40 01 Jun 2004

Some ISPs and web hosts insist on lower case filenames and, in the case of UNIX web servers, upper case names or names with spaces in them can cause havoc.

As a rule of thumb you should always use lower case for page and file names in web design and if you want to use double barrelled names you should separate them with an underscore, like_this. Upper and lower case filenames are differnt files in web terms. On the web XYZ.JPG is not the same file as xyz.jpg

Of course, renaming the files alone will not be enough if your page still links to the old filename, so if XYZ.JPG is renamed to xyz.jpg you should update the web page and make sure the image source name reflects the change in the file name.

Fingers crossed...

Valvegrid 13:03 01 Jun 2004

I've nothing really to add to what Taran has said, but if you want a good FTP client I have been using this one which seems quite easy to use and it's free:

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

30 UK artists have created vibrant posters celebrating Pride London

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?