C:\Upload folder - invisible to Windows explorer ?

boot-it-out 11:46 02 Jun 2005

After some recent virus problems on my PC I found that when the Anti Virus software was scanning, it located a folder called C:\Uploads which appeared to contain LOTS of files ....
When I try and view this folder in Windows Explorer, or search for a folder of this name, it is not found ??
I have run the latest updates from Spybot, AdAware, SpywareBlaster and AVG Anti Virus.

Any ideas how I can access this "invisible" folder to see what's in it, and delete it and its contents if appropriate ( I've tried Folder Options / View hidden files and folders wthout success ) ??

Cheers,
"Boot-It-Out"

Yoda Knight 11:55 02 Jun 2005

Try to access it in DOS (Start, run, cmd <enter>, cd\update)

Post back if your command prompt changes to c:\update>

Yoda Knight 11:56 02 Jun 2005

Sorry, change UPDATES for UPLOADS in the above

Yoda Knight 11:57 02 Jun 2005

Also try enable the option to view system files as you did for hidden files

boot-it-out 16:57 02 Jun 2005

Hi Yoda,

Thanks for the suggestions :

I tried to change directories in DOS to C:\Uploads and the folder isn't found !
( Tried with "Show contents of Systems folders" checked as well as "Show Hidden Files" )

I have turned off System Restore and the viruses I had were re-installing themselves after AVG had "healed" them. I seem to have sorted the virus problem - Trojans including optimize.exe dyfuca.3.r Pwer Scan and Istbar, but now when I try and access DOS I get an error message saying :
"C:Windows\system32\cmd.com
C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application."
The only two options are Close and Ignore - neither lets you then get into DOS !

It looks like whatever the viruses were they have downloaded lots of programs into this invisible "C:\Uploads" folder - I can see the names of the programs as AVG is scanning away - at least its not finding any viruses there.

Do you think switching System Restore back on and restoring to a point prior to these problems and Virus infections would do the trick ? - Or will the previous restore points have been lost when I turned System Restore off ?

Many thanks for your help.

boot-it-out 10:49 04 Jun 2005

With help from my ( much cleverer than me ) son we discovered that this was indeed a "Hidden" folder that could only be accessed through DOS using an attribute to show hidden files - the Windows option to show such files didn't work.

We also found that the "cmd" prompt had been hijacked to "cmd.com" which redirected to a subroutine that reloaded the viruses I thought I had got rid of !

All is now well having deleted the "Uploads" folder and its contents of several hundred Mb, re-installed the correct "cmd" file ( cmd.exe ) deleting previous Restore Points and updating ( again ) the latest Virus and Spyware definitions.

Isn't it about time that these a$$hole$ who inflict their misery on innocent computer users were brought to task and had their te$ticle$ removed with a rusty razor blade ?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?