Cup of tea spilt over laptop - panic?

musicbassman 18:53 16 Mar 2011

Hello folks
My daughter managed to spill an entire cup of tea over her laptop this afternoon. She got busy with kitchen towels straight away, and currently the keyboard works but the touchpad mouse below doesn't. Needless to say I was not best pleased!
Apart from taking this to a repair shop, has anyone got any suggestions - eg should I put it in the airing cupboard for 48 hours and hope for the best? Whats the best way to try and dry out a laptop internally? Laptop is an HP HDX16, certainly not cheap, and only about 18 months old.

birdface 19:00 16 Mar 2011

Airing cupboard or hair drier.
If the screen still works that is a bonus you can always use an external mouse if you have no joy with the touchpad.
Best leaving it for a while before using again.

octal 19:04 16 Mar 2011

Does she take sugar? If she does then it's likely to have done irreversible damage, sugar messes things up bad. If not then you might be able to dry it out, only time will tell.

The only thing to do if it isn't repairable is to claim on your house insurance.

octal 19:08 16 Mar 2011

Just noticed, your daughter is a member of the DIBB.

woodchip 19:19 16 Mar 2011

If its no go, use a Wireless Mouse. I use one on all my Laptops and netbook The one I am one at the mo is a HP 510 Laptop

musicbassman 19:20 16 Mar 2011

DIBB ??

No, she doesn't take sugar which maybe is a good thing in this case.

octal 19:30 16 Mar 2011

Don't worry, coincidence. Someone on another forum did exactly the same thing. Let us know if it works.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:07 16 Mar 2011
  musicbassman 21:09 16 Mar 2011

Thanks Fruit Bat - that's a sensible video - a pity my daughter didn't think to go onto the internet on another computer in the house and try and find out what to do about this spill as soon as it had happened!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone