Ctrl-Alt-Delete Window

Trolley 12:46 05 Jul 2004

Hi,

Does anyone know how you change the Control-Alt-Delete window in Windows 200 and Windows XP to a custom design?

I want the screen to show my companyt name and details instead of the Windows 2000 logos.

Any help muchly appreciated.

spikeychris 13:24 05 Jul 2004

Download Restorator from (click here) - Make a copy of ntoskrnl.exe from C:\winnt\system32 to the desktop - Open it in Restorator. Go to bitmap resource 1, right-click it and choose Extract as 1.bmp.

Open 1.bmp in Paint and edit it, but keep everything from the blue gradient bar down (do not edit that part), save as 16 colors - Go back to Restorator, Right click bitmap resource 1 again, choose Assign to, then 1.bmp - Save file and exit Restorator.

Boot to DOS (assuming you have a DOS floppy handy, and your C:\ drive is formatted as FAT)make another copy of the original ntoskrnl.exe to somewhere eg C:\temp for easy emergency access, and keep it there.

Take your new ntoskrnl.exe and copy it to C:\winnt\system32 then copy it again to C:\winnt\system32\dllcache. Reboot into Windows If all fails, boot back to DOS, and copy your backup ntoskrnl.exe back to C:\winnt\system32 and C:\winnt\system32\dllcache

click here for a better explanation

Not as simple as 9X eh....

Trolley 16:27 19 Jul 2004

Not quite what I wanted. Good to know that anyway.

I want the welcome screen after windows has loaded, where you have to press ctrl alt delete before entering your password.
Anyone else got any ideas?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017