Ctrl Alt Del XP multiple users

alythman 19:31 10 May 2008

Can anyone tell me the best way to set up the CTRL ALT DEL log on in WIn XP Home for multiple users. I am on a Server at work and have been asked to set up this function, but it is all greek to me. Any help with this one will be appreciated!

Ditch999 19:49 10 May 2008

From the XP help files:
To require users to press CTRL+ALT+DELETE before logging on
You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group on a computer that is part of a network domain in order to complete this procedure. Network policy settings may also prevent you from completing this procedure.

Open User Accounts in Control Panel.
Click the Advanced tab.
In Secure logon, select the Require users to press Ctrl+Alt+Delete check box.
Notes

To open User Accounts, click Start, click Control Panel, and then click User Accounts.

Or do you want to send the command from the server to the clients?

alythman 09:29 11 May 2008

I assume that the commands would have to be sent from the server. I have tried to do this from the help files also, but it gives only one user log-in option. I must be going wrong somewhere. Thanks for your response!

Ditch999 17:54 11 May 2008

Or just round each PC (you dont say how many are involved) and perform the above steps on each one when logged in as Administrator.

Ditch999 19:57 11 May 2008

An XP PC will do this automatically if Use the Welcome screen for Log on is disabled by doing the following
Start > Control Panel > User Accounts > Change the way Users Log on or off > Remove the tick from "Use the Welcome screen" > Apply options (Note: Fast user switching is disabled when you do this)
The next time you log on you should have to press ctrl+alt+del then type in your password, as long as the security policy is set correctly in Group Policy.
To check this do the following:
Start > Run > type in "gpedit.msc" without quotes > OK > Computer configuration > Windows settings > Security settings > Local Policies > Security Options, then in the pane on the right scroll down to where it says "Interactive logon: Do not require CTRL+ALT+DEL" and it should be set to Disabled.

brundle 20:00 11 May 2008

No Global Policy Editor in XP Home either...

"I am on a Server at work" - are you referring to one and same computer?

alythman 17:53 12 May 2008

Hi, thanks for all of your responses, but I am afraid I cannot access a group policy editor in XP Home either! Do you think that this is because, at the moment, I cannot seem to pick up the wireless network either on the Belkin PCI card that I have? And, if I did manage to pick up the wireless signal, would I then be able to find the Group Policy Editor? Sorry if I sound vague, but I have been handed a task that I have no experience of!

brundle 18:10 12 May 2008

There is no Global Policy Editor in XP Home

Ditch999 10:25 13 May 2008

I don't have a Windows XP Home machine to test this out but here's instructions for adding the Group Policy Editor snap-in, provided you have access to a Windows XP Pro machine or CD.

Windows XP Home does not include GPEDIT; XP Home users can apparently run this program if they have access to files from an XP Pro (or possibly Win 2000?) installation, by doing the following:

* Copy the files gpedit.dll and fde.dll from \WINDOWS\System32 on the XP Pro machine to \WINDOWS\System32 on the XP Home machine.
* From a command prompt issue the following commands on the XP Home machine: regsvr32 C:\WINDOWS\System32\gpedit.dll

* regsvr32 C:\WINDOWS\System32\fde.dll Open the Microsoft Management Console (mmc.exe) and select File->Add/Remove Snap-in... Then click Add. Select the Group Policy snap-in from the list of installed snap ins.

You can now edit the Group Policy on the local machine. But XP Home doesn't support the same feature set as XP Pro, so the policies you are looking for might be missing.

Ditch999 11:11 13 May 2008

And here is a link to instructions and the files required in case you dont have them click here

alythman 17:57 13 May 2008

Thanks Ditch999, your informative help is really appreciated. I'll get on the case tomorrow with this and I'll let you know. Thanks again!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?