CSS Template

carrotmuseum 15:15 12 Mar 2008

Newbie to CSS for layout etc. I have a template which gives a html file a style file and a folder with existing graphics. so how do I use this to create say 10 web pages all the same layout (different content).

Kemistri 21:10 12 Mar 2008

Well, that depends on whether you want just a site-wide style sheet with some page-specific declarations or a more complex build. What you do with your CSS is up to you at the end of the day, and how you arrange your classes and IDs in the markup is -- within technical limits -- also entirely up to you.

carrotmuseum 21:17 12 Mar 2008

Thanks K I really want to have the same for each page and then "just fill in the blanks". Trying to tidy up carrotmuseum.com but not sure where to start.

Kemistri 21:21 12 Mar 2008

Well, as I say, how you arrange it is up to you. As a general guide, don't use any more IDs and classes than you actually need.

carrotmuseum 21:31 12 Mar 2008

Thanks for the tips. Do these CCS layouts tend to look ok in all browsers? also any links to good CCS tutorials for a simpleton! Particularly want a site where the font size stays fixed regardless of what setting an individual places in his view options. Is there a code for that? phew questions questions!!

Kemistri 21:50 12 Mar 2008

"Do these CCS layouts tend to look ok in all browsers?"

That gave me a wry chuckle.

"....want a site where the font size stays fixed regardless of what setting an individual places in his view options."

NO WAY!!! Consider yourself admonished for that heinous suggestion! ; ) Then go and read about accessibility.

If you want a CSS reference, click here. If you want some useful developmental and inspirational resources for folk who already know how to code, try these:
click here
click here
click here
click here
click here
If you really want to start off on the right foot and learn how to develop properly with CSS, make the investment in some books:
click here
click here
click here
click here
click here

carrotmuseum 09:32 13 Mar 2008

Ok will check all those out, seems quite complex and achieves little more than well constructed tables. So what is the big advantage of CSS?

Kemistri 13:41 13 Mar 2008

"...achieves little more than well constructed tables."

You're missing the full picture. For one thing, have you ever needed to change the style or layout of a site? Add pages? All much easier with well managed CSS and separate XHTML. MUCH easier.

Then there's accessibility, which ought to be made a legal requirement and the web would be a better place for disabled and disadvantaged users. Either way, we all have a moral responsibility to make websites that everyone can use -- and that includes amateur developers in my opinion. For commercial sites that directly offer a service or product, it can be considered to be a de facto legal requirement under the Disability Discrimination Act.

Then there are things that CSS can do that tables cannot even come close to. Spend some time looking at Stu Nicholls' work, for example, and you'll see what I mean.

And I guess it depends what you call complex! Each to their own there.

carrotmuseum 13:56 13 Mar 2008

Like I said way back, I am a novice really, what is XHTML all of a sudden.

All I want it to have a nice design which is the same for each page, so I can just fill in detail relative to each page. Yes it would be lovely to make the change once for all pages.

As for accesibility, I agree to an extent. The BBC NEWS pages do not enable larger text!! how do they get away with it? Also if you can change the size so that all can read it, it can become meaningless if the format is so scewed that it is all nonsense, so a compromise is needed. Maybe all web sites should also be required to be talking too???

I will read more about CSS and try get my head round it, thanks for the advice, it is the future I realise that!

Kemistri 14:10 13 Mar 2008

"Maybe all web sites should also be required to be talking too???"

Hardly. Blind and partially sighted users have screen readers.

As for XHTML, you shouldn't really be tackling CSS at all until you understand how to compile HTML markup. I had no idea that you didn't know about HTML yet, but it's very simple -- really easy to pick up.
click here
click here
click here
click here

carrotmuseum 14:41 13 Mar 2008

I do have a basic grasp of html, but managed so far without xhtml or css for layout. That's the difficulty for me, getting my head around this new, and clearly better way, from the language which was de rigeur in the 90's.

Thanks for the links. You can see the site I have right now, which I am not too pleased with and intend to completely overhaul. So any tips would be welcome. It's 135 pages!!
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

11 best portfolio websites for designers and artists

Office for Mac buying guide: Price, Office 2017 rumours & new features

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?