CSS help, please (and opinions on first website)

slightlymad 04:04 26 Jan 2006

An amateur, here, whose website has been tweaked with the help of coding from Rachel Andrews' CSS Anthology, and Dreamweaver 8.

It actually worked fine in its former basic state, but now that I've added a footer it's behaving erratically... no problems in Firefox but in IE the scrollbars appear even the the complete content is clearly in view.

And I'm pretty sure that there is a more correct coding for positioning the image, but it was the only way that I could think of to achieve the placement that I wanted. (I told you that I was an amateur...)

Am I going to have to start over with a completely different layout?!

I'd also welcome any comments/suggestions/criticism about the design of the site.

Thanks,

Marie

slightlymad 04:05 26 Jan 2006

My website:

click here

slightlymad 11:48 26 Jan 2006

Good advice, John - thank you. I will definitely increase the contrast for the text, which I had misgivings about anyway, accessibility-wise.

I used a Dreamweaver command to create the gallery, and yes, the default hyperlink states are niggling me. I've no problem with altering the coding, but as far as I can see it would mean adding styles to each of the pages individually - unless there's a way of applying a single stylesheet to all 60? (This was going to be my next question.)

Having said that, I need to provide alt tags for each of the images, so I might as well paste styles into each of the pages. (I'd still like to know if there's another way, though...)

Thanks for your help.

Marie

beynac 12:09 26 Jan 2006

You can apply a single stylesheet to all 60 pages. If you do it this way, and want to change something, you will only have to make one change instead of sixty.

slightlymad 12:47 26 Jan 2006

beynac - what I should have said, is that I could paste the stylesheet link into each page (not the styles themselves).

But what I'd like to know (only idly, you understand, because the positioning problem is of more importance), is if I can create a stylesheet and ask Dreamweaver to apply it to the complete contents of my "gallery" folder?

ade.h 18:17 26 Jan 2006

Regarding a critique...

One can usually find something to be improved upon in any website. Not least any of my own. However, on initial viewing, I'm struggling to find anything.

I'll try harder next time!

PurplePenny 21:06 26 Jan 2006

... just beautiful.

Have you changed the font colour? I took a quick peak this morning at work and it looks different now... but that might just be the different monitor.

I love the elegant grey font but John is right: could be an accessibility problem.

I had a discussion about grey on grey on an accessibility forum just the other day because I find that a darker grey background with white font or a lighter grey with a black (or even dark grey) font are really easy to read and restful on my eyes (I have really bad dry eye syndrome).

Before you change the font colour put the pages through a colour-blindness checker. One of them tests for contrast I think. I'll have a look in my bookmarks in the hope that I bookmarked it.

PurplePenny 21:21 26 Jan 2006

I'm willing to bet that there is some way to get Dreamweaver to copy the stylesheet link into every gallery page so that you don't have to do it manually... but I don't know how!

I don't see anything wrong with the way that you've positioned the image. It works :-)

I'm sure that I've seen the unnecessary IE scroll bar problem on one of the CSS guru sites. I'll see whether I can find it.

PurplePenny 21:35 26 Jan 2006

Just a word about the image alts: the alt should be what you want people to read if the image isn't visible and also what someone *hears* through a screenreader.

With your peacock image someone only hearing the page might wonder what was meant by "image, preen preen".

In fact for purely decorative images, i.e. those that are not necessary for an understanding of the page, many accessibility gurus say to use an empty alt attribute, alt="", so that the screenreader software doesn't read anything out. My problem with that is that the alt is also supposed to be there for people who *can* see the screen but for some reason do not have images displayed (a text reader for instance). They might want to know what was in the image that they've missed even if it was purely decorative.

PurplePenny 21:39 26 Jan 2006

I thought that it was this one that would check the contrast but I can't see any such test on it (unless it is one of the monochrome tests).
click here

slightlymad 23:05 26 Jan 2006

I'm so glad that you popped in, Penny - I was hoping that you'd respond! I've read your replies to other postings with great interest, and I've learnt a lot from you. I'm hooked on this CSS lark and keen to learn more.

I'm glowing at your "just beautiful" comment - thank you! Also many thanks for the suggestions. I've now darkened the text colour (I hadn't, before), changed the alt tag, and the page looks fine through all the different colour-blindness filters. Also no HTML or CSS validation errors, so everything is as it should be, but those scroll bars are really getting to me! If you can find the answer I shall be eternally grateful. I feel sure that it's something to do with the footer, and I'll keep tweaking.

I suffer from dry eyes, too, and I agree entirely with your preferred choice of background/text colours. In fact, that's the on misgiving I have about my page - the white background. I might add the merest tint of colour, to cut down on glare.

I'm assuming that you have a website (of course you do) - can you provide a link, please?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017