cryptographic services

chaz-238897 21:09 19 Mar 2007

Am I the only one who does not have this on their computer? I have followed all the advice I have found on web searches to no avail. I have not been able to download anything from Microsoft for a couple of years. Very frustrated. Think it started after I had a disrupted download not long after I installed SP2, off the PCA disc. I have looked for it on my computer where it is meant to be & done a search or fifty. Does it mean a format & start again?....chaz

I am Spartacus 21:40 19 Mar 2007

I had this problem a few years ago. The solution then was to delete the catroot2 folder in windows\system32. I'm not sure if this will fix your problem though.

chaz-238897 22:27 19 Mar 2007

no that did not work, but thanks

I am Spartacus 23:16 19 Mar 2007

Did you reboot and then check that the Crypto service was running and/or set to automatic?

Burpie 23:24 19 Mar 2007

"I have looked for it on my computer where it is meant to be"

Are you saying that if you look at the Services the Cryptographic Service isn't in the list?

If it isn't, then let us know.

If it is, then here's a Microsoft check list:

click here

chaz-238897 18:21 21 Mar 2007

Sorry, out last night.
Just checked in services again, crypkey is there, no cryptographic services. Thanks for your interest

Burpie 21:27 22 Mar 2007

The Cryptographic Service should certainly be in the Services list.

Why it isn't is a mystery to me- it's one of Windows' most basic services and runs under SVCHOST.EXE.

I've done some searching and I can't find anything definite regarding the Cryptographic Service missing from the Services list.

"Does it mean a format & start again?."

It certainly looks like it.

"I have not been able to download anything from Microsoft for a couple of years."

It's important that you at least get the Windows security updates.

You can get the updates manually, but it's a pain.

I suggest you back up your data and reinstall Windows.

Crypkey is a third-party service that's installed as an anti-piracy measure for some software that you've installed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?