crosswords fot the blind

Terry Brown 19:19 03 Dec 2007

My brother in-law loves crosswords (guardian Type), but now due to health problems (Diabetic), he is almost blind. What I am looking for is a program that will generate a crossword, speak the questions and allow a voice and /or a typed input.
This could be either a Computer program of a separate unit (like a game machine).
Any Suggestions.
Terry

Meshuga 19:26 03 Dec 2007

Suggest you contact the RNIB, they should be able to suggest something.

Terry Brown 20:16 03 Dec 2007

Good Idea Meshuga, I'll try their wwebsite first.
Terry

MCE2K5 02:47 04 Dec 2007

Found this one, click here

Scroll down to,
'Blind/PS version'

This is designed for blind or partially-sighted users. It is a stripped down text version, which should be easily read by a screen reader.

Terry Brown 22:33 05 Dec 2007

Thanks MCE2KS.
I'll try this as it looks just what I need.

ARENACROSSWORDS 16:34 18 Aug 2010

I have a website with British Cryptic and General Knowledge crosswords. I have just been approached by a chap who is constructing a website for blind & partially sited people and wants to use my crosswords on the site.

He is a retired computer guy in Australia, has devoted his retirement to making all manner of games playable by blind and partially sighted people. He's written a very good program which essentially uses Across Lite format versions of puzzles and gives voice instructions on clues. It's very good.

Once would-be users have installed the free program from his site they can use Across Lite format files.

Once it is up and running, I will post it here.

Terry Brown 20:56 18 Aug 2010

ARENACROSSWORDS

Thanks for the info, I will keep a look out for it, as my Brother-in-law is virtually blind, and currently his wife reads him the questions, but it is not always conviente.
Terry

ARENACROSSWORDS 14:23 20 Aug 2010

Meantime Terry, if he or anyone else want to doenload my crosswords, they are free.

Just Google 'crosswords by Arena'

(Cryptic and General Knowledge)

ARENACROSSWORDS 16:05 23 Aug 2010

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?