Is Crossover cable OK in my network ?

Heefie 19:05 13 Mar 2008

A little question about gaming on a home network ... I've tried to be as explicit as possible, probably overkill, but better to give too much information than too little, I reckon ... though I bet I still get asked questions about something s> !!!

So, here goes ...

I have a Creative DSL Modem / Router, model 8133U-C1.

I also have a 3com Wireless Router, model 3CRWE554G72T.

The two are linked by an RJ45 Ethernet cable out of the single port of the Creative modem into the Cable / DSL port of the 3com Router.

I have a desktop PC with it's Network card linked directly to the 3com Router Lan Port 1 by a standard network Patch cable.

My Laptop & 2 other Desktops pick up the 3com Router wirelessly. Everything works fine, except for the occasional dropping of the ADSL line and/or the wireless signal, but I can soon recover from them, so am happy enough.

However ... although my laptop is more powerful and a lot newer than my desktop, I have found that if I want to play online adventure games on it, it can be very slow and jerky at times, even if the other PCs are all off, it is much better and easier to play the games on the Desktop machine, the picture is smooth & clear.

Question 1 : Is this to be expected and is it just because a wireless signal is more "variable" than a direct connection ?

Question 2 : Is it relevant that my DSL line is only 1024/512 ... I would have thought this was ample, it certainly is on the Desktop.

Question 3 : If I run a network cable from DSL Port 2 of the 3com router to my laptop, which will stretch to over 10 metres, does it matter if this cable is Crossover cable (it's all I have handy) ? Is this too long to expect a really good signal ?

Any ideas or suggestions as to how I can improve the setup would also be welcome ... cheers in advance ...

recap 19:33 13 Mar 2008

Question 3 answers your question 1. Cable connection is slightly faster. My son uses a crossover cable for his Xbox 360 as it gives a better signal strength.

recap 19:33 13 Mar 2008

Forgot to add that with the cable he doesn't experience any dropped connection.

Jim_F 21:59 13 Mar 2008

AFAIK the answers are:

1) Wireless signals are prone to interference which makes them very variable - even to the point of dropped connections so use a cable for preference - I recently upgraded my WIFI to CAT5E - it saves power, its more secure and its faster!

2) 1024 download is fine if its sustained - but most aren't. If you're checking both PCs at the same time it should be consistent.

3) 10 metres is fine but a standard connection from a hub or router to a device is straight though so I don't think this would work unless its a recent hub that can autoconfigure for standard vs X-over connections.

Heefie 10:59 16 Mar 2008

recap & Jim_F, many thanks for your feedback, I am going to borrow some ethernet cable from a friend and see if I get a marked improvement ...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?