Crossover Cable Config.

mast 16:18 22 Jul 2004

Hi

does anyone know the settings required to use a crossover cable linking to PCs? Both PCs are running XP (one Home, the other Pro)

Many thanks

Diodorus Siculus 17:11 22 Jul 2004

What settings are you looking for? Try the networking wizard and it should walk you through it easily enough.

mast 20:56 24 Jul 2004

Some one mentioned to me a while ago that when using a crossover cable you have to manually assign a nIP address to each PC. I would like some help and advice on how this is done? I think it is in the properties of the network connection but do not know where to go from there! Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Martin

howard60 21:06 24 Jul 2004

check you have a xover cable - I always set the ip address manually. right click network places and then properties - find your network adaptor and right click then properties go to tcpip line and highlight it and then click properties. Click in use this ip address and then set your main pc as 192 168 0 1 and the subset mask as 255 255 255 0. Go to same point in pc no. 2 and this time set as 192 168 0 2 same subset mask and add in default gateway and dns server the address of pc no. 1 192 168 0 1.

mast 21:28 24 Jul 2004

Howard(60),
many thanks nice and clear instructions - just how I need them!
Cheers
Martin

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?