Cross site patching cat6 patching issue

Hollis257 19:40 03 Dec 2012

We have recently converted our garage which i will be living in. It is slightly our of reach for wireless and due to the fact i use desktops i decided to run a cable.

I got a Cat6 cable and 2 RG45 face plates and have run the cable. I used a cable tester and found a problem with one of the pairs which i resolved. It is wired as a straight through cable.

I confirmed that the terminations were successful with the cable tester however once i connect these to my PC and the router I get no connectivity. I have no idea why this would work through the cable tester but no with actual devices.

The PC connects fine with a direct cable or with power line adapters. Can anyone shed any light on why i might be experiencing these issues?

Thanks in advance,

Dan

mgmcc 20:31 03 Dec 2012

If you happen to have a "crossover" network cable handy (which would normally be used when connecting two computers directly), try using that either between the router and one of the faceplates, or between the computer and a faceplate.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?