Critical Updates will not install

StellaArtois63 13:39 14 Jul 2004

I have checked the update list and for my PC using XP there were 6 to download. I selected all of them but 4 will not install they are, Security updates KB840315 KB841873 KB839645 and Update for intelligent transfer service( Bits) 2.0 and WinHTTP 5.1 KB842773.
My PC knowledge is to be honest crap so I havn't a clue what they are or do I just download them cos Windows suggests I do. I would appreciate any help many thanks, Cheers StellaArtois

GaT7 14:17 14 Jul 2004

1. Are you getting any error message at all & if yes, what is it? OR,

2. How do you know they are not installing? Are the same ones being re-offered each time you check for updates?

StellaArtois63 14:20 14 Jul 2004

There is no error message just the updates highlighted in red saying they did not install and offered me the chance to try again to which I have a few times to no avail.

GaT7 14:39 14 Jul 2004

OK here are some things you can do - click here.

Work through each one carefully, following the instructions to the letter.

PS - You can save a copy of the above page, so you don't have to go online each time to view it. While online, open IE. Go to the above link. Click File -> Save As. Select a suitable location to save it in & give it an apt name (make a note of these). In the 'Save as type:' box select 'Webpage Archive, single archive (*.mht). Click 'Save'. Each time you need to view these solutions, just double-click the file you've just saved to your hard disk above.

I have to go offline for a while but will return later. If you have any problems post them here & when I return I'll have a look & respond. Good luck, G

StellaArtois63 14:55 14 Jul 2004

Just had a look at what you suggested but I am concerned that I will completely balls the computer up if I mess about changing files like that.
I myself are going out shortly, to see if my golf swing is better than my PC knowledge somehow I doubt it. So I will check up later to see what you suggest next. Your help is much appreciated, Ade

Terry Brown 15:50 14 Jul 2004

Have you installed SP1 upgrade on your system, if not, that may be why the security files will not load.

GaT7 17:14 14 Jul 2004

OK, no problem, Ade. Let's take it step by step.

Let's ignore the link I gave you for the time being.

Do this for a start:

1. Search for a file called 'Windows Update.log'. Open it* & see if there's an error mentioned. You may see something similar to this:

Error IUENGINE See iuhist.xml for details: Install finished (Error 0x80070005: Access is denied.)

Let me know what the error/s are. Copy & paste it in the Forum's Message box below together with your reply.

(*If you cannot open the file, COPY & paste it on your Desktop & it should now let you open it.)

Keen golfer are you? Must be looking forward to watch The Open then? Golf is one game I've never had the chance to play...yet! G

GaT7 17:16 14 Jul 2004

Do you mean SP2 upgrade (NOT SP1), by any chance?

StellaArtois63 20:26 14 Jul 2004

I have looked through windows update notepad and they have all been a success apart from these listed below.

2004-07-13 23:23:52 22:23:52 Error IUENGINE See iuhist.xml for details: Install finished (Error 0x80072EFD)

2004-07-13 23:24:35 22:24:35 Error IUENGINE See iuhist.xml for details: Install finished (Error 0x80072EFD)

2004-07-13 23:25:16 22:25:16 Error IUENGINE See iuhist.xml for details: Install finished (Error 0x80072EFD)

There are ten of these and I have realised they are all the same just a different date and time on them.
As for the Golf I havn't played for a while so trying to get back into the swing of things.

StellaArtois63 20:32 14 Jul 2004

Groan just realised what I said about golf and getting in the swing of things sorry about that one. As for SP1 and SP2 upgrade I have not installed them, well at least I dont recall doing them.

sattman 20:41 14 Jul 2004

see this for information that may be related to your problem.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?