critical system error icons; task bar.

second best 11:48 25 Sep 2006

hi, I've been online for years and never had this kind of trouble. i d/loaded a codec pack and it installed a whole new world of pop ups and two reccurent icons in the taskbar. i've searched google for the past 12 hours and tried all i can for now. got a full mcaffe suit, ad-aware, spy bot, hijack this and cws shredder, but i can't shift these icons. now i seem to be having memory problmes and BSOD restarts. i have found info on software named 'Spynomore', which is finding all sorts, even after my scans with all the other software mentioned above, but it is trial and not able to remove.

please help.

VoG II 11:52 25 Sep 2006

Have you tried a System Restore to before you installed it?

second best 12:08 25 Sep 2006

yes Vog, i have, to no avail. I have managed to get rid of most of the pop ups, but i still have these icons. blue circle white outline ? inthe centre, and yellow triangle. both lead me to sites to d/load what i can only imagine to be bogus software, nearly always different.

VoG II 12:11 25 Sep 2006

Download Ewido Anti-Malware trial version click here

After it's downloaded and installed, it should automatically update itself; however, if it doesn't, you should do it manually. Close ALL open Windows / Programs / Folders. Start Ewido and run a full scan:-

Click on Scanner

Click on the Settings tab.

Under How to act?
Click on Recommended Action and choose Quarantine from the popup menu.

Under How to scan?
All checkboxes should be ticked.

Under Possibly unwanted software:
All checkboxes should be ticked.

Under Reports:
Select Automatically generate report after every scan and uncheck Only if threats were found.

Under What to scan?
Select Scan every file.

Click on the Scan tab.

Click on Complete System Scan to start the scan process.

Let the program scan the machine.

When the scan has finished:

Make sure that Set all elements to: shows Quarantine, if not click on the link and choose Quarantine from the popup menu.

At the bottom of the window click on the Apply all Actions button.

Right-click the Ewido Tray Icon and select Exit. Confirm by clicking Yes.

second best 12:51 25 Sep 2006

i had sent a reply Vog, but it doesnt seem to have been posted, so here it is again. yes, i had sys restored to two days earlier, but to no avail. i have managed to remover most of th epop ups but i still have this critical system error report in taskbar. blue circle white border with a ? mark inthe middle. plus a yellow trianlge with ! in the centre. i'm aslo no having problems with BSOD. ad-aware or spybot run then crach on memeory search and forced restart. i need to get on with my work. :(

second best 13:14 25 Sep 2006

hi vog, ran the programme but got BSOD again and restart, so not sure what to do now. run in safe more. appears to be a device driver onflict, but not sure how or why. nothing new installed. got to be diretly linked to what's going on. thanks

second best 13:16 25 Sep 2006

hi vog, ran the programme but got BSOD again and restart, so not sure what to do now. run in safe more. appears to be a device driver onflict, but not sure how or why. nothing new installed. got to be diretly linked to what's going on. thanks

VoG II 13:17 25 Sep 2006

I think it might be a good idea to consult the malware removal experts. Run HJT click here and post your log on the MWR forum click here

second best 13:17 25 Sep 2006

hi vog, ran the programme and got BSOD again. so i'm here after restart. not sure what to do now. try in safe mode?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?