Creating wireless network

Joe R 15:49 09 Sep 2007

I am at present running a network, where my own desktop acts as a server, and shares internet connection, through a cat crossover cable leading to my daughters system upstairs.

At Xmas I want to change my set-up, so that I can run the same cable upstairs, to a router, which will allow two laptops to connect wirelessly.

Can anyone advise on the best cable router for this job, and on any other pitfalls I may encounter on this set-up.

I will be running the virgin media 20Mb service, and the laptops are the following click here, which will both be running XP. (as is my own system)

irishrapter 19:59 09 Sep 2007

So you currently have two computers connected.
These will be still on the network at xmas as well as two new laptops, total of four computers.
Is this correct?

What type of cable modem are you using at the moment? Is it USB or Ethernet?
If its Ethernet than the simplest way to enable a wireless service is to get a wireless router, something a linksys click here
This just connects to the Ethernet cable modem then is just a matter of configuring the router.

Strawballs 21:26 09 Sep 2007

click here any one of these will do but I can recomend the Linksys as I have been using the wrt54g now for about 3yrs without problems on NTL

mgmcc 08:25 10 Sep 2007

<<<At Xmas I want to change my set-up, so that I can run the same cable upstairs, to a router, which will allow two laptops to connect wirelessly.>>>

When you install a router, you won't be running the same crossover cable upstairs to the router - your own PC and all other computers will connect directly to the router, either "wirelessly" or by a "straight-wired" ethernet cable. You will have to disable Internet Connection Sharing in your own PC.

Joe R 17:08 10 Sep 2007

Thanks all for the comments, and it looks like the Linksys will be the one.

mgmcc, I didn't realise you couldn't use a crossover cable to connect to the router, although I knew I would have to connect my own system to the router.

The laptops will be the only other machines connected to the router as the other system seems to be having it's last gasps of breath.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?