Creating a Video DVD

Gary Wood 00:06 07 Jan 2005

I have recorded some video onto my computer using a TV Card (Hauppauge WinTV PVR-250). It's in MPEG 2 format, with a bit rate of 6400 kbps (CBR).

I am trying to use Ulead VideoStudio 8 to create a DVD containing four such videos, each of which is one hour long. I have therefore set a custom setting with a bit rate of 2250 kbps (CBR) and MPEG sound 192 kbps in the creation settings of VideoStudio to make the files small enough that four hours of film will fit on one disk.

However, the completed project is unacceptable because it suffers from severe pixelation, expecially on fast moving pan/action sequences.

I can't understand why this is because I have tested this bit rate is of sufficient quality by capturing some video from my TV card using the same bit rate values and this is not distorted in any way.

Can anyone advise me why the conversion is creating pixelation and if there is anything I can do to avoid it? It's very frustrating!

Thanks

Gary

john-232317 09:16 07 Jan 2005

Don't know about the bit rate stuff, but don't the DVD`s only hold 1.5 hours of film of good quality, are you not trying to put too much on them ?

Gary Wood 09:20 07 Jan 2005

Yes, you are correct, DVDs only hold around 1.5 hours of high (DVD) quality film. However, because the video I'm putting on to them is from VHS it isn't as high quality as DVD to start with, so I was thinking I could get away with using lower bit rates etc. The picture will only ever be as good as the VHS recordings...

Gary Wood 09:20 07 Jan 2005

Yes, you are correct, DVDs only hold around 1.5 hours of high (DVD) quality film. However, because the video I'm putting on to them is from VHS it isn't as high quality as DVD to start with, so I was thinking I could get away with using lower bit rates etc. The picture will only ever be as good as the VHS recordings...

Xevious 09:37 07 Jan 2005

had a similar problem myself

click here

ended up importing the video through movie maker 2, now works fine...

:-(

(btw what processor is on your machine? intel or AMD?)

€dstowe 10:21 07 Jan 2005

Messing about with bit rates wil do nothing to improve the quality of your videos and, if the quality is not very good to start with, it can only get worse by trying to stuff too much on a disc.

To get the best quality from even low quality, let the machine choose what is best.

DVD blanks aren't expensive now. Take advantage of that an record to the best quality that you are able.

Gary Wood 12:01 07 Jan 2005

Xevious - my computer has an Intel PIV 3.06 Ghz processor.

€dstowe - I realise htat DVDs are not expensive. However, I just thought it woudl be wasteful to put one hour of VHS imported video onto a DVD because the bit rates and resolution that this would use would be far greater quality than the original video. Do you agree or am I off track here?

I think what I really need to know is what the resolution of VHS is so I don't use a higher one. I can then choose the bitrate accordingly.

Gary Wood 12:02 07 Jan 2005

Should have also said in above post, that I can't reimport the video using any other application because it was recorded from broadcast TV so the only copy I have is the one I recorded.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017