Creating space on the h/d

ordep 11:01 30 Oct 2009

I'm trying to create some space on my h/d. It's an 80g drive I'd like to dedicate to W7.
My question is can I safely delete, Windows.old, Windows.old.OOO & Windows, and various other files, which I presume are now redundant.
W7 is presently on the second drive.
Thanks in advance.

ordep 11:21 31 Oct 2009

Can any one offer any advise please.

ArrGee 11:26 31 Oct 2009

Your best bet would be to backup all your documents and applications. Then use DBAN (click here) to create a format disc. Boot the PC with this disk and format the drive (use option 'autonuke'). Then install W7 and your applications.

mooly 12:11 31 Oct 2009

If you just want W7 and are happy to delete your current OS or whatever is on the drive you can use the W7 Windows Install Disk to format the partition.

"Windows" ? that's what it says... the OS

"Windows old" are files left over from upgrading and installing and can be deleted.

I'm still confused with what you are asking :)
A drive (or partition exclusivly for W7) then it's definitely best to do a format and clean install.

ordep 12:32 31 Oct 2009

Thanks for your replies.
To explain further. I have two h/d, c & f
I'm trying to install w7 on c (its currently on f) as it would not allow me to install on c as there isnt enough room.
So, am I right in thinking I can now delete everything on c and then clean install w7 on c.
Hope that's clear.

I think what I want to do is what mooly is suggesting.

"If you just want W7 and are happy to delete your current OS or whatever is on the drive you can use the W7 Windows Install Disk to format the partition."

mooly 12:47 31 Oct 2009

Use the W7 disk to do the format, it will be in the "advanced" options at the start of the install procedure (I think) and easy to miss.

Do a google search (and look in W7 forum here) for all the options for clean installing depending on whether you have full/OEM/upgrade version.

ordep 13:21 31 Oct 2009

Thanks mooly, I'll give it a go tomorrow.
Thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?