Creating a picture with Photoshop Elements

MartynHoll 18:34 13 Aug 2005

I have just taken a picture of a ship at sea and cut round it in PS so that the new picture is just of the ship. This worked OK, but I still have a square border around the ship when all I want is the ship. The reason I am doing this, is that I want to import the ship onto a map background in Studio 9 and then move the ship along the route. Can anyone tell me how to create a file which is just the shape of the ship?

johnnyrocker 18:41 13 Aug 2005

i think the background has to be set to neutral or such like but if you click here you might get better results.

johnny.

Completealias 18:45 13 Aug 2005

If you are refering to a checked background in shades of gray then you do just have your picture of a ship on its own.

That background is just phtoshops way of showing there is no background to the picture.

Does it look like this click here

MartynHoll 18:49 13 Aug 2005

No, the background is white

MartynHoll 18:52 13 Aug 2005

I used the magnetic lasso tool to mark around the ship in the orginal picture and the copied the selection and pasted it into a new file

Completealias 18:56 13 Aug 2005

OK I have just extracted a part of a picture if I then save it as a jpg it places it on a white back ground but if I save it as as phtotshop psd file it does not.

I then have to open up the background wish to copy it onto in phtotshop and copy the extracted picture on top of that.

Sorry I don't think that helps much

genuinefake 18:59 13 Aug 2005

have you deleted the 'background' layer?

Completealias 19:02 13 Aug 2005

The way I did it I used the extract tool from the filters menu this then removes the background layer as you say if I then save it as a photoshop file it looks like the link I posted earlier. If I was to save it as a jpg for example thou it would place the extract onto a white background.

Philwane 20:00 13 Aug 2005

If you are using Adobe Photoshop Elements do you also happen to have Adobe Premiere Elements?

The reason I ask is I have just extracted part of a picture in Photoshop and saved it as a PSD file then I imported it into Premiere Elements My main movie was on Video 1 timeline.
I put the psd file on Video 2 timeline and it just shows the cut out segment with the main movie showing behind, you can make the psd file cover any length of the video 1 timeline and you can play about with the opacity to get it exactly how you want it.
But if you have not got premiere elements I guess its not much help?

Fellsider 21:21 13 Aug 2005

It won't work if you save it as a jpg.

You will have to save it as a PSD, assuming Elements uses the same filenames as Photoshop

TommyRed 21:59 13 Aug 2005

When I'm stuck on something in elements I go here click here HTH TR

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?