Creating Petition on C. Format petition??

muddypaws 10:10 02 Mar 2014
Answered

I want to try Ubuntu. When I have created the petition on C ( 250 gigs spare) do I have to format it or wipe free space before before using it.

Thanks.

Procrastinus 10:39 02 Mar 2014

Be aware that Ubuntu will use Grub to boot into a dual OS system and if you decide you do not want Ubuntu any more, you will have to re-install the Windows MBR (not complicated if you have an installation disc). May I suggest you get a second HDD on, say eBay, for a very modest sum, format it and then put it onto your machine after removing your existing, and install Ubuntu onto that - thus leaving your Windows installation untouched.
Later, you can decide if you want a dual OS system on one HDD and if so, use the second drive as a data backup.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:22 02 Mar 2014

Better to download an iso , burn DVD to run it from there until you find you like it before installing to HDD.

muddypaws 13:16 02 Mar 2014

I have d/loaded the ISO and ordered a 1tb WD HDD from Amazon. ( Present C is 500gb)

I was going to petition 50/50 and try Ubuntu V.12.xx

I have an internal ''Q' which holds a bootable clone of my present C and will copy to the new drive.

I think there is a dual boot option in the installation process.

If I don't like Ubuntu I will have to lash out on W.8 and dual boot with XP for a while.

All thanks to Microsoft.

Thanks for your replies.

muddypaws 13:19 02 Mar 2014

Fruit Bat /\0/\

I know I can try it from the DVD, but do I have to change Bios to boot from there or just run the DVD?

muddypaws 16:40 02 Mar 2014

I have had two attempts at the demo after reboot, but nothing happens. Still boots to Windows.

I get the window asking Install or Demo and reboot now.

I appear to have all the contents on the DVD although properties says it is completely full.

D/load size state 40mbs approx.

Am I missing something?

Will d/load iso again to another DVD.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:01 02 Mar 2014

Boot with DVD in drive

I get the window asking Install or Demo and reboot now.

select Demo and it should boot into Ubuntu

muddypaws 22:05 02 Mar 2014

Fruit Bat /\0/\

That's the snag--select demo and it boots to windows.

Perhaps a visit to the bios to change boot order is due.

muddypaws 19:24 04 Mar 2014
Answer

Had several looks at Bios today, but there doesn't appear to be a 'boot from cd' option.

Motherboard is a Gigabyte M61PME-S2P. ( Delete to enter)

Will have another look tomorrow.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?