Creating MP3 from audio cassettes

Sara K 13:00 26 Jan 2008

I have been transferring old tapes to mp3 by connecting my cassette deck stereo output to my pc microphone slot. I record this using audacity and convert from wav to mp3 using dbpoweramp. The results are fine but only for mono recordings. Any stereo recordings appear to be mono but in both channels.

Is it because my pc microphone is only mono? My connections definitely have both channels from the cassette deck.

If this is the problem, can anybody advise me on how I can transfer these stereo recordings to mp3? I don't have that many so I don't really want to spend a lot on new hardware.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Sara

lofty29 13:16 26 Jan 2008

why not use the line on the pc rather than the mic

eedcam 13:32 26 Jan 2008

As Lofty said use the earphone outlet on your cassette deck to line in on the pc make sure you get a stereo lead

Sara K 13:44 26 Jan 2008

I think I am using the line in. It is next to the headphone slot with a symbol of a microphone. Is there another slot?

MCE2K5 17:23 26 Jan 2008

In Audacity, Click Edit, Preferences, Audio I/O Tab, To the Right of Channels:, Click on Bar and Select 2 (Stereo) Click OK and try again.

Sara K 17:56 26 Jan 2008

Thanks for your help.

The setting was for stereo but I changed the device from Microsoft sound mapper to Microphone SigmaTel High defn and this did the trick. Now the sound is fantastic.

Many thanks to all.

Sara

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?