Creating A Forum

unix_geek_cred 21:57 16 Jun 2006

Hi there, I've been looking through Google for how to create a forum and there wasn't a guide at all on how to create your own forum. I have some knowledge on HTML and designing websites, but know knowledge on forum database driven websites.
Help would be very much appreciated.
Thanks Jack

ade.h 22:01 16 Jun 2006

On off-the-shelf package would be ideal, such as PHPBB, which powers *a lot* of forums. Easily spotted by the same small group of styles, but that's no bad thing; it's a good layout and people are likely to be familiar with it. click here

Forum Editor 22:15 16 Jun 2006

from scratch, because you'll still be at it this time next decade, and it won't be right, even then.

There is some extremely good forum software out there - both free and for sale - and I suggest that you explore the market. You'll be amazed at the wealth of options included in some of the packages, and they're all infinitely configurable.

c0re 22:13 18 Jun 2006

LOL Forum Editor....

Depends how competent coder you are...

I coded my own forum took me a few days.

At the moment looking from a security angle... Vbulletin and phpBB seem to be not getting it right. Cookie and SQL exploits seem to be making them the ultimate targets.

A website "system" I am currently pleased with is e107... which is a little bit more than a forum.. but the new 0.7 version I think is unbelievable and a work of art with Support from a Community that keeps growing and growing.

click here

To install such forums you will need a hosting package with PHP and MySQL.

If you have this then it's pretty straight forward.. if not you might want to look for hosting that has this capability.

I do own a hosting company but I will not mention it as I do not want to bring forth rows with the Moderating Team :)

Any other questions post back my friend...

Regards

Matt

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?