creating flatbed sacnner link

chris48 16:31 31 Dec 2008

I have just chaged computers from windows 98SE to Windows XP, when my flat bed scanner menu is started, the links bar does not show Word of Access, which is what I would like to use, I have gone through the Create a link process, but when I click on the Word link icon, the textbridge runs then I get a window with Cannot launch application.
I hope someone can shed a little light on this problem, thanks chris.

wotbus@ 16:43 31 Dec 2008

Sounds like a driver issue. Go to the site of your scanner and d/l the XP drivers for it.

Pineman100 16:43 31 Dec 2008

Word of Access? I'm not sure what that is.

If you mean that you want to launch Word from a shortcut on your desktop, here's the easiest way to set up that shortcut.

Click on Start>All Programs. In your list of installed programs, find Microsoft Word.

Now hold down the CTRL key and then hold down your left mouse button over the Word entry in the program list. Keeping both buttons held down, drag your cursor over to a free area of the desktop, showing to the side of the program window. Now release your mouse button and the CTRL key.

You will now see a Word shortcut on your desktop.

If that process is successful, I suggest you delete your old Word shortcut (which - if I understand you correctly - tries to launch Textbridge). Right-click on it, then click Delete. On the warning window, click Delete Shortcut.

Is that what you wanted to do?

wotbus@ 16:45 31 Dec 2008

Hi Pineman100. I think he means "Word" or "Access".
On my flatbed scanner (scanjet4470c) I have some quick launch buttons. Hitting one brings up a menu on my screen for me to choose a destination for the scan.

Pineman100 11:20 01 Jan 2009

I understand from your email (please don't use this method for obtaining replies - as I explained to you, it means that others can't see the response) that you are trying to send scanned OCR text from your scanner straight to Word or Access from Textbridge.

I don't know anything about your scanner, but assuming that you've installed all its software, you should be able to carry out this function from your computer, using Textbridge.

First question - have you used Textbridge's 'Scanner Setup' function, so that Textbridge recognises and communicates with your scanner? I haven't used Textbridge for many years, but I think it's on the Tools menu. It's a wizard, so it should guide you through the process.

Secondly, have you told Textbridge to save documents in Microsoft Word format? Again, my memory is hazy but I think on one of the Textbridge menus you'll find something called Autosave Settings. In that function there should be a 'Save as type' box that allows you to select Microsoft Word (or Access) as your preferred format for saving.

Try those two ideas, and then post back with the results, please.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone