Creating a Directory for Downloads

javaBalls 15:43 03 Apr 2006

I would like to sell downloads on my website. Image files, mp3s that sort of thing. And yes I do own all the copyrights.

I know how to create a members area and a payment system but when it comes to the download how can I prevent users from downloading files they’ve not paid for?

For example: the user pays for imageA.jpg. They point their browser to mydoman.com/images/imageA.jpg and download the image. But what’s to stop them guessing at the other filenames and downloading more images e.g. mydoman.com/images/imageB.jpg ?

Thanks in Advance

Forum Editor 00:27 04 Apr 2006

which is why you need a script to handle the downloads.

I have designed several sites for clients which do precisely the same things as yours, and in each case I've used a custom-written script. In essence the script only allows a customer access to a specific download directory or file if he she comes from a specific url. If you buy a file called images/alpha you are directed to that file by the script, and to that file only. If you type images/beta into your browser you'll be denied access, because you aren't coming from the right url for images/beta.

That's a very basic description of how it works, but I'm sure it's enough to give you the idea.

javaBalls 08:37 04 Apr 2006

thanks. That will send me in the right direction.

I'll probabaly write a script in php or aspx that will direct them to the file that they can download.

Cheers

Mark

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?