creating a database for cd's

beattyben 15:32 11 Jun 2005

No doubt there is a simple solution to this problem but can anyone help? I have a large number of CD Roms from computer mags (collected over the years) and I would like to create a database of the programmes on each disk, rather than look at each disk individually. Is there a simple way to do this? Thanks in anticipation.

bremner 15:35 11 Jun 2005

A quick Google click here= found this one click here

mattyc_92 16:06 11 Jun 2005

Depends on what you mean by "database"... You can copy the programs that you use from the disk onto your hard-drive and use a program like "Autoplay Media Studio" (click here) to create a new "autorun menu" and then burn the finished thing onto a CD-R.... And then you will/should have less disks to store (unless you copy almost ALL the programs onto your drive)

Belatucadrus 16:24 11 Jun 2005

Do you have any database software like Access or Works database on your computer ?

DieSse 17:09 11 Jun 2005

A very simple way to do it is to use a spreadsheet (Excel ?). You simply create a line for each CD - and a column for each main program.

You can sort the spreadsheet using any column as a sort key - so you can quickly isolate all the ones with grahics programs, for instance.

It only needs a bit of thought as to how you use the columns - and you can see them all on the same screen more readily than most databases, which usually take far longer to set up.

beattyben 19:08 11 Jun 2005

Belatucadrus, I have MS Access,MS Works and Lotus Smartsuite, do I really need a spreadsheet? I seem to recall that there is a way to access a list of programmes from a CD that can be copied into a database.Please advise if I am wrong.

Belatucadrus 20:54 11 Jun 2005

Not sure of a way of doing it automatically.

Access genu 23:25 11 Jun 2005

The following code will scan a CD for you,
You will have to ad additional code to put it into a databse

Dim fso As Object

Dim flds As Folders

Dim fld As Folder

Private Sub cmdScan_Click()

Dim drvs As Drives

Dim drv As Drive

Set fso = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")

Set drvs = fso.Drives

For Each drv In drvs

If drv.DriveLetter = "D" Then

Set fld = fso.GetFolder(drv.Path)

SearchTheFolder fld

End If

Next

End Sub

Sub SearchTheFolder(myFld As Folder)

Set flds = myFld.SubFolders

SearchTheFiles myFld.Files

For Each fld In flds

SearchTheFolder fld

Next

End Sub

Sub SearchTheFiles(fls As Files)

For Each fil In fls

MsgBox fil.Name

Next

End Sub

VoG II 23:30 11 Jun 2005

Very neat.

beattyben - if you don't have Access but want the code to do the same in Excel ... well, please reply to the thread that you started.

VoG II 23:31 11 Jun 2005

Sorry, I see that you do have Access - job done?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy Note 8 review

Be inspired by powerful National Theatre posters from the past 50 years

How to use the new Photos, Notes and Safari features in macOS High Sierra

Galaxy Note 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie