Creating compilations in Nero - Small problem!

mistagf 13:12 09 Aug 2003

I am creating my own mp3 compilations using Nero but when using drag & drop to place tracks in a playlist , the list defaults to alphabetical order!

How can I decide my own preferences for order of play?

Thanks.

Lozzy 13:19 09 Aug 2003

disable auto sort in alpha order

ton 15:06 09 Aug 2003

If you are creating mp3 compilations (data) then I think the only way to set your own order is to rename the files with a number at the front.
Like this - 01-raveup.mp3

Below is pasted the explanation from the Nero site.

10. Why does the order of MP3 tracks change when I compile an MP3-CD? It always ends up in alphabetical order, and I am unable to change it.

First of all, there is big difference between an AudioCD and a MP3-CD. When you burn a Audio-CD all MP3s will be converted into CDA, so regular CD player will be able to read this CD (this is specified through the Red Book).
An MP3 CD is really just a data CD as you are using the CDROM (ISO) standard. And every CDROM (ISO) has to be written within the specification of the Yellow Book for this format, otherwise it would not be readable on any system, or by any MP3 Player. This specification forces all tracks to be in alphabetical order. No exceptions. But there is an easy workaround. Set prefixes in front of the songs filenames which consist of numbers.
For Example:
001_name.mp3
002_name.mp3
003_name.mp3

This way you can burn the MP3 audio files in the order you wish to play them in on your MP3 Player.

krypt1c 15:15 09 Aug 2003

Ton is spot on. However, be aware that if you want whole albums to be in the correct order you need to create a folder with the title of the album, then rip your files with a numeric prefix.
But of course you will have the alpha problem again. So if you want albums in a particular order give your album folder a numeric prefix as well.

Smiler 15:18 09 Aug 2003

Can you explain fully "diasble auto sort in alpha order" as I can't find it in my copy of Nero.

Confab 15:33 09 Aug 2003

I might be missing the point here but you can just drag and drop them into the order that you want. When you have compiled your list and its in the left hand pane just click on say track 1 and drag it between say track 3 and 4. Track 1 will then become track 3 and tracks 2 and 3 will move up to become tracks 1 and 2. It works for me anyhow.

Stuartli 16:15 09 Aug 2003

Remember too that if you do a compilation to always use the Add button - CD tracks play from the inside of the disk outward, unlike vinyl which was the reverse.

If you don't use the Add button, then the track order will be completely reversed.

Confab 16:18 09 Aug 2003

This doesn't happen with mine it just says tract 1, 2, 3 etc

mistagf 18:11 09 Aug 2003

Thanks for the discussion guys but my problem has not been solved.

I , like Smiler , cannot find Lozzy's "alphasort".

Using Nero Express , I get the options for various formats , and choose music/mp3disk.

My tracks can be called Track 1 , Track 2 etc. but this defeats my objective which is to have named tracks in the compilation.

Using names instead of track numbers always results in an alphabetical list!

As for prefixing each track with a number e.g. 1.Track Name , this is OK from 1 to 9 but then 10 follows 1 etc.

My compilations are generally 20 to 30 tracks on miniCD.

More help would be appreciated.

leo49 18:27 09 Aug 2003

Use the proper numbering system. ie prefix the title with 01,02,03,etc.

Regards

Stuartli 18:30 09 Aug 2003

Nero's Help file gives exactly the same advice - I've just checked...:-)

Mistagf: See Sections 3.3.4 and 3.3.5 in the Nero Help files (Page 18 and 19)- these may help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?