Creating a boot.ini file

rioboy 08:46 02 May 2004

Hi I've got the dreaded NTLDR file not found whilst building a new system. Consequently I find myself in an endless loop. Even though I have a bootable CDROM and BIOS set to boot from CD first I get the above message after POST.

Apparantly to get out of this I need to copy the NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM files to a floppy which is no problem. (I have another working machine.) I also need to create a boot.ini file which is where I'm stuck!! Can anyone give me precise instructions on how to do this?

Specs are Athlon 2000, 128 DDR, 60 gig Excelsior Hard Drive, trying to install XP Pro!

I'm going to be out for the rest of the day but will respond tonight. Thanking you in anticipation.

Dowman 09:03 02 May 2004

On your working machine, you should have a Boot.ini file on the root of the c drive copy that as well

Terry Brown 09:53 02 May 2004

On your search box, have you selected to search system files and Hidden files, if not you will never find them.The NTLDR.COM and NTDETECT.COM are in the 386 folder

rioboy 20:03 02 May 2004

Thanks for the responses. I know where the 3 files are and am able to copy them but apparently I need to create a boot.ini file for the machine that I'm trying to boot up. That is the area where I need some help.

powerless 20:07 02 May 2004

Create a text file.

Copy this info and paste it into the file:

[boot loader]

timeout=30

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect

You must remove spaces between each line and you might have to edit the info for your system setup.

save the file as: boot.ini

Include ini in the file name and you will see a new file appear; this is the boot.ini file.

rioboy 22:36 02 May 2004

Thanks Powerless, will do that tomorrow. Just a quick question,when you say create a text file and copy that info etc., can I do that with any word processing program?

Terry Brown 09:07 07 May 2004

ref Text File creation
If you use a word processor program it will not work. Use Notepad instead.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017