creating a backup of Word template and dictionary

johnem 11:10 19 Jun 2003

Hi gang, I'm sure that this has been requested many times before, but I did not make a copy of the information. I am at last trying to make preparations to reformat and re-install W98SE. I have made backup copies of most of my data and then realised that I was not sure how to make a copy of the modified word template and the modified dictionary and items in the Auto Text box in Office 97. I have also tried to copy my various Dial Up Network settings, but to no avail. Any ideas would be most appreciated.

Big Elf 12:00 19 Jun 2003

As far as the template goes search for 'normal.dot' (or *.dot if you renamed it). The dictionary is probably called 'custom.dic'. I don;t know about the Auto Text though.

VoG® 12:49 19 Jun 2003

AutoText entries are stored in normal.dot

Granger 13:10 19 Jun 2003

I used to use 98SE, and used to back up (from memory) the folder windows\application data\microsoft\templates\ and the file windows\application data\microsoft\proof\custom.dic. Don't forget your Outlook files in windows\local settings\microsoft\outlook\.

johnem 13:23 19 Jun 2003

Thank you one and all, I knew I could rely on your help. I will make and keep a copy of this info.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?