Create XP re-install disk

pipfan 13:46 29 Jan 2011

I have 2 PC's, both running XP Pro. One of the works fine, the other needs a re-install of XP Pro.

Is there any way I can create a re-install disk from the good PC to be used on the bad one? Both PC's have their own COA so no probs with the actual licence but don't know where to start in sorting the CD out.

Many thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:08 29 Jan 2011

Why does it need a reinstall?

How to make a recovery from a preinstalled system click here

pipfan 14:15 29 Jan 2011

Hi Fruit Bat

Looks like there is a significant problem with Windows Activation - tried everything I can think of incclusing suggestions from this forum (see my previous posting!), so I think the only options left are to try a solution suggested by Crossbow7 or a complete re-install of XP Pro - both need the CD and I don't have one.

Thanks for the link - will have a proper loook through that !

lotvic 14:39 29 Jan 2011

You are dealing with two OEM XP pro product keys.
It would help if we knew the make/model of both pc's.

other thread click here for info.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:02 29 Jan 2011

If you have done a reinstall you can use XP for 30 days after that it will not let you log in until you activate it

How to activate Windows XP by phone
To contact a Microsoft customer service representative to activate Windows by phone, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click Activate Windows.

Or, click the Windows Activation icon in the notification area.
2. Click Yes, I want to telephone a customer service representative to active Windows now.
3. Click Read the Windows Product Activation Privacy Statement, click Back, and then click Next.
4. Follow the steps in the Activate Windows by phone dialog box, and then click Next.

Note The number appears now and differs based on the location that you select.
5. When activation is completed and you receive the following message, click OK.
You have successfully activated your copy of Windows.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

How secure is your Wi-Fi?

AMD vs Intel: we put the most powerful desktops for designers and artists head-to-head

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleurs ordinateurs portables 2017