Create unpartitioned space without reformatting

slightlymad 18:44 24 Aug 2006

...Without reformatting.

The story so far...

Inspiron 9400 laptop from Dell, with something called Media Direct as a feature. Means you don't have to load Windows to view media, you just press a button.

Laptop arrives, full of all the junk that Dell puts on. So I reformat. I install all the drivers (having to ask Dell to send send them), and the programs that I want. Media Direct doesn't work, needless to say. Dellman sends Media Direct disk, with instructions. Instructions involve creating a new partition and installing Windows on this partition, then Media Direct. It doesn't work.

Dellman doesn't know the solution. He's good at keeping in contact - I get weekly updates, saying that Technician A has replicated the problem, but his laptop has crashed. Technician B is stumped, and so on.

But today, some THREE MONTHS later, Dellman comes up with the answer.

I'm to reformat, and allocate 2GB unpartitioned space for Dell Media.

I don't want to reformat.

Is there any way that I can do this? I have Partition Magic, but from what I can see, you can only create partitions with it. Which is exactly what you'd expect, I suppose.

Is there an answer?

Marie

FelixTCat 18:54 24 Aug 2006

slightlymad,

I think that there is a confusion of terms here. What I think they may mean is a space which is not allocated to Windows.

Basically, use Partition Magic to take 2 GB from an existing Windows partition but do not format it or give it a drive letter. Presumably when you run Dell Media it will format it and then install the necessary files. It may require a particular format such as FAT or a linux format.

Sometimes these programs require that they reside on the first cylinders of the hard disk, so you may have to shuffle your C: drive up.

Make sure that you back up any data you care about.

Regards,

Felix

slightlymad 20:02 24 Aug 2006

Because it was the easiest. Well, there was some degree of success - when I press the Dell Media button when the computer is powered down, I now get a "Dell Media Direct" splash screen... before Windows loads.

Felix, I now have 2GB of space afer Drive C. I can't move it, but I can create another space BEFORE C.

Is this the way to go?

slightlymad 23:01 24 Aug 2006

Now that's put me right off.

Instead, I put a space before C, and it still didn't work.

Thanks for the link, crx1600, but this small feature isn't worth all that trouble.

I'm going to see what else I can mess up instead.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone